5 Reasons Why Apple Should Acquire Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If Apple acquires Steam I am going to quit video gaming for life.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I just don't think that will happen. If someone like Microsoft catches wind that Apple will buy them then Microsoft will pay more, buy Valve and then stop support for Apple.

And then Apple will buy Activision and Microsoft will buy EA and so on and so forth and you will just create one big disaster of the PC gaming industry.

That could get really ugly. I think that it is best that computer manufacturers and Microsoft leave video game developers alone.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I won't quit gaming, I won't stop playing Steam's content, I won't curl up into a corner and cry, but I don't want Apple to acquire Steam. I don't want Apple to have anything to do with the games I play. I can't offer any explanation, because I can't even explain to myself why I don't want this to happen.

I just don't.

If Apple acquires Steam I am going to quit video gaming for life.
+1000! With all this DRM cr@p, the last thing I want is an Apple controlled Steam. Banning of all violent games on Steam any one? (Due to the fact that Apple believes that they have a "moral" responsibility to do stuff like this). Most people on this site HATE how Apple is so controlling and will NEVER bow down to their control, I know I wouldn't. Also, something like this, could in turn increase piracy by over 9000%. Steam is preventing quite a bit of piracy due to DRM. If Apple style DRM comes to Steam, I WILL PIRATE EVERY game I already OWN on Steam!

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
It'll be a cold day in Hell when Valve let's themselves be bought. It would be a huge betrayal of their fans if they sell out to anyone, especially crApple. There's a reason they have remained a private company for all these years. So even if crApple does start writing the checks, I dont see Valve going for it.

RustyXshackleford

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
I have to admit that I do not like the idea of Apple buying steam. I`m inclined to believe that Apple would use the platform as a business tool and isolate PC and other systems while simultaneously strengthening apples position in gaming. That is not to say that some other company in the same circumstances would not do the same, after all business is just that. I feel that apple is particularly competitive and will use anything in its power to monopolize the services provided by steam and closely regulate them to suit their own needs. If they thought that they would lose too much money by not paying attention to the majority of the market, and development was equitable across platforms, then the benefits would be much more pronounced and the possibility of an acquisition much less worrisome.

they wouldn't be able to do that without jeopardizing their own IP content (L4D 1/2, HL series), not to mention the reason it works is because their are so many games available on the Steam (many of the popular ones being violent games)

i would be sad to see this happen, but i wouldn't stop using it since i have 250GB+ of games through Steam

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]thegeeesta[/nom]Tom's has gone to ***. This is a website oriented towards PC Enthusiasts, so all of this is completely irrelevant.[/citation]

In case you've forgotten, "PC" stands for "Personal Computer," and Apple still makes those. This is a tech-oriented website, more than just a "PC-in-the-sense-of-Windows-based-computer" website, and there's nothing that requires them to limit content strictly to non-Apple information. In fact, I would hope that they wouldn't, as it's always interesting to know what's going on in all corners of the computing and tech worlds. Just because I don't support Apple as a manufacturer of computers doesn't mean I don't want to know what they're up to, and just because I'd rather not see Apple acquire Steam doesn't mean that Mr. Gruener's article wasn't well-thought out and intelligent - and it is certainly relevant to the PC world.

Edit: to the downrankers, god forbid anyone actually try to have a discussion about the article, instead of just freaking out at the mere idea that Apple involve itself in a service you enjoy. Oh no, conversation! Kill it with fire!

With all the cr@p Apples been doing recently, I would not be surprised if they manage to do it.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
if that would happen i would and im sure many others would boycott steam, and demand all my games keys so i can play of off steam :p

this is the worst idea ever, apple has no clue about open source, they are the anti of open anything...

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]Can't wait for Steam on iTunes, that would be, like, totally awesome !!![/citation]
Ups, forgot the /sarcasm tag, someone might take me seriously!

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
You could easily substitution Microsoft and XBox/Windows Phone 7 for Apple and iPad/iPhone/iPod respectively. Why???

So does people comment more on Apple threads because they like Apple?

1) There are more threads about Apple non-proportional to actual industry news
2) Most Apple threads are flame baits. And they expect us to just not read it.
3) Why are there more threads about Apple?
4) Hey, here's another Apple news. HTC counter-sued Apple today!

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
NOOOOO, STEAM HAS ITS ROOTS IN PC... if they sell they will be betraying all of their customers. Is it worth 1B dollars? Mayb lol

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Where's the "Thumbs Down" button for this article?

If this is the kind of Articles I'll start seeing here, Tomshardware will lose some one who's been a follower from 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.