54 Million Enthusiast and Performance PC Gamers Globally

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
You can play games on anything if you realy wanted, but a PC is more than a gameing console or tablet or even a wristwatch that you can play games on, when was the last time you opened up a photo editor on your wristwatch or tablet? how can you remote desktop into a tablet, those are just two examples I am sure you know of more.

G

You can not eat a GPU, And if your not employed by the Chip/Gaming/Graphics industry a GPU will not pay your rent. AMD and Intel integrated graphics, with proper driver updates, may be useful for some light gaming, and may be affordable to the masses. What is going to bring the most GPU utilization in the future is the new trend towards heterogeneous computing, with OpenGL, direct compute, and other software that opens up the GPU to be used for more general purpose computing tasks. With stockbrokers, scientist, and others all needing all the processing power they can get their hands on. Imagine the disappointed gamers out there, waiting for the latest GPU only to learn their most desired GPU is out of stock because some large day trading outfit bought the entire chip fab's output just to get a few milliseconds jump on the stock market!

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
PC gaming is not dead, it doesn't take a rocket surgery study to figure that out, as ltdementhial said, just ask Steam - their hardware/sofware pulls alone, plus the capacity of gamers online at a single given time worldwide is enough to show PC gaming is far from dead, I'm talking 3-5 million users at a time logged in and playing.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I am typing this with my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Keyboard, using my Mamba mouse to navigate the page and watching my magnificent pair of GTX580's purr in the beautiful glow from my case fans through the glass window while watching a live Motorhead concert on my second 24" LED.

You can't replace the beauty that is a powerful workhorse - anybody that has the room (and savings) to get a giant pc but they don't - doesn't know what they're missing.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]I wonder how many of the 54 million actually buy games and don't pirate them lol[/citation]

because of console ports that makes games mostly suck... yeaah.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]anyone know how JPR gets their data?[/citation]
where did the data come from? game sales from game developers, retail sales and e-tail sales around the globe.
what you muppets think only the few million of 300 million americans still play on PC's?
my question is were F2P with item/credit sales included?
54 million out of a world over over 3 billion sounds pretty logical to me.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Now you cpu/gpu manufacturers have a reason to invest into games developement, Are you listening Intel/AMD/Nvidia?
Give us some eye candy/gameplay to utilise all this power instead of console ports and you will sell more hardware I can guarantee it! Give me a reason to buy this new 690GTX or upcoming 7990, The only game that pushes my system at the moment would be Metro 2033 and less than a handfull of others. Invest some of those profits into making games that use your hardware to it's fullest and you will make more profits in future.
That's my 2 cents worth!

force550

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
You forgot to write /brag.

Seriously, GTX 690 is overkill for anything below 3 full HD monitors and 2x GTX 580 will eat anything you throw at it for breakfast in next 2-3 years at least. Rich much?

Well not everyone is playing trash COD console port as there still pretty demanding true PC games out there, indie games that is, did you know?

@Soldier 37 - enjoy your new cards ;) !

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Yawn... and there are still "experts" thinking the PC or PC gaming is going to die soon. It was just beaten by fast growing fad, portable devices, yet the PC industry is still growing only slower. Most "quality" content in the internet are produced from the PC anyway.

schiwing

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]the_crippler[/nom]But remember, folks - PC gaming is dying! *rolls eyes*[/citation]

Who said this?
Oh yeah, that's right, it was Tom's Hardwa...oh wait...

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
pc all the way....before a console is even released it has become absolute....i love the fact that i can change any component i want in my machine...like i said before, PC for life

[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Proudly about to spend a cool grand on a GTX 690 to replace my 2 gtx 580s for my ultra 2560 x 1600 res display. PC gaming alive and well at my house![/citation]

Two GTX 580s in SLI to the 690 for 2560x1600? How does that make a difference when two 580 3GBs (you have said that your 580s are 3GB versions) should be enough to max out every single quality setting and AA/AF at that resolution in any and all games? Are there some mods that makes some games THAT much more intensive? If so, does going from 3GB of VRAM per GPU down to 2GB of VRAM per GPU in such a situation cause any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.