[SOLVED] 5600x vs 10700k for streaming?

majkinson

Reputable
Dec 8, 2017
Hi everyone!

I am looking to upgrade my PC and I recently started streaming. GPUs are non-existent so I'm going just for the CPU for now, my current one is really dated. My question is pretty much the title: Which is better for streaming? 5600x or 10700k? Or maybe 3800x? I don't think it's a good idea to go for older generation, but what do I know... I can get either of those for very similar prices where I live.

I have GTX 1070 and I am using NVENC encoder. Once GPUs are in stock, I am getting 3060ti, maybe 3070, depending on the prices. Will the extra cores make a difference if I'm using NVENC anyway?

And since I am already here asking noob questions, one more: Would a MB like ASUS PRIME B460-PLUS be good enough for the 10700k? I don't see the point of spending a lot of money on a MB. I'm not planning to do any overclocking. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your time!

Solution
You would be getting 16 threads with any of your choices, and any would do the job about as well.
Intel i7-11700K is likely to be available at launch in a week, and I think leaks indicate it will be a stronger performer than any of your choices.
I would at least wait to see benchmarks and reviews.

Since you already have a decent discrete graphics card, you can go without integrated graphics on the motherboard.
That said, with Intel, I would always buy the non f chip with integrated graphics.
It is invaluable if you ever have a gpu issue.
The price difference is minimal.

Do not go excessively cheap on a motherboard.
Better motherboards will automatically manage turbo modes which largely negates the need for overclocking.

With higher...
I have GTX 1070 and I am using NVENC encoder. Once GPUs are in stock, I am getting 3060ti, maybe 3070, depending on the prices. Will the extra cores make a difference if I'm using NVENC anyway?
No they won't do anything for streaming since nvenc is running on the GPU alone the CPU usage is very close to zero.
The 11th gen is a week out and will have a better iGPU so you could use that instead of the nvidia for streaming but it wouldn't make any big difference either.
The only benefit would be that you could have a second display on the iGPU to monitor your streaming/chat/whatever without it messing with the main display at all.

Hi everyone!

I am looking to upgrade my PC and I recently started streaming. GPUs are non-existent so I'm going just for the CPU for now, my current one is really dated. My question is pretty much the title: Which is better for streaming? 5600x or 10700k? Or maybe 3800x? I don't think it's a good idea to go for older generation, but what do I know... I can get either of those for very similar prices where I live.

And since I am already here asking noob questions, one more: Would a MB like ASUS PRIME B460-PLUS be good enough for the 10700k? I don't see the point of spending a lot of money on a MB. I'm not planning to do any overclocking. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your time!
Hello there!!
Id recommend you to go with higher core count as it would deffinetly help you with multitasking so go with whatever is the cheapest among the two.While the b460 prime would work i wont recommend it as it doent have good vrm cooling and i7 loves to consume power so something like MSI B460 mortar(non wifi if you dont want wifi and thatll save some bucks) might be better for cpu ,if going are with the intel route go with i7 10700f as you are not going to OC and that would also save some bucks.

majkinson

Reputable
Dec 8, 2017
Hello there!!
Id recommend you to go with higher core count as it would deffinetly help you with multitasking so go with whatever is the cheapest among the two.While the b460 prime would work i wont recommend it as it doent have good vrm cooling and i7 loves to consume power so something like MSI B460 mortar(non wifi if you dont want wifi and thatll save some bucks) might be better for cpu ,if going are with the intel route go with i7 10700f as you are not going to OC and that would also save some bucks.

Thanks for the response!

10700f? I thought the 10700K is better even non OCed. Higher core frequencies... And the iGPU might help a bit too, I didn't even know I could plug my second monitor into that. I thought they both had to be in the GPU. Why am I not doing that already? :D

So you are saying 10700K is not worth it over 10700F if I'm not overclocking?

You would be getting 16 threads with any of your choices, and any would do the job about as well.
Intel i7-11700K is likely to be available at launch in a week, and I think leaks indicate it will be a stronger performer than any of your choices.
I would at least wait to see benchmarks and reviews.

Since you already have a decent discrete graphics card, you can go without integrated graphics on the motherboard.
That said, with Intel, I would always buy the non f chip with integrated graphics.
It is invaluable if you ever have a gpu issue.
The price difference is minimal.

Do not go excessively cheap on a motherboard.
Better motherboards will automatically manage turbo modes which largely negates the need for overclocking.

With higher powered processors like you are considering, you want robust voltage regulation and cooling.
Also, buy a good cpu cooler.
Turbo limits depend on good cpu temperatures.
This does not automatically mean aio liquid cooling.
A good twin tower air cooler will be about the equivalent of a 240 aio.
Regardless, buy a good case with at least two 120/140mm front intake fans to feed your cpu cooler.
Looks count, buy a case with the looks you love.

Better motherboards will have better integrated sound.
Latest gen motherboards will have pcie 4.0 capability.
That is a plus for sequential m.2 pcie devices and sequential processing.
On ryzen, be very careful to get compatible ram, and you need faster ram for optimal performance.
On intel, it runs on any DDR4 ram and speed is not as important.

Reactions: General Kenobi
Solution
The K part will boost to 5.1 instead of only 4.8 in lightly threaded stuff like many games but you might not see any difference until you get a better GPU or if you play at low res/quality and even then it's not going to be crazy different.
In multithreaded the difference is 4.8 against 4.9 so basically nothing.
You have to know yourself if the price difference is worth it for you.

You don't have to go crazy with the cooling as long as you get a mobo that doesn't just pump all the power it can through the CPU just to look better at benches, but even in that case you can go into bios and adjust al the limits to your liking to get good performance at low power/temp.

Thanks for the response!

10700f? I thought the 10700K is better even non OCed. Higher core frequencies... And the iGPU might help a bit too, I didn't even know I could plug my second monitor into that. I thought they both had to be in the GPU. Why am I not doing that already? :D

Pardon me i dint mention i thought you were familar with the 'F' in the end,every intel cpu with F in the end means they dont have igpu so if you wanna plug into your mobo hdmi/DP you wont be able to get output.The reason i recommended 10700f is bcz they are usually the most inexpensive 10th gen i7 at the cost of igpu.If you want to use igpu aswell get the i7 10700k/10700.The performance difference between all of'em is negligible unless OC or in ur case the need for igpu is the concern.Spending more and getting the K chip is also not worth in ur case as you arent gonna OC.

jtk2515

Distinguished
10700kf is 264$ at amazon. The real question is overclocking the 10700k is going to pull ~ 250watts on a all core Overclock vs ~110 for the 5600x. I feel like the 10700kf is a very good deal if you don't want to overclock. But if your getting a motherboard with +200 offset/PBO/undervolt the 5600x can do really well with the stock cooler or 120mm Radiator. Some people dont consider PBO "Overclocking" So I dont know if your considering it.

If it was me and I was not overclocking I would get the 10400f for 155$ and just save the money for a bigger Video Card and just use the videocard to stream.
Anything you choose all are very good options. I own 2 5600x and a 5800x and a 10850k and I dont find the 5800x or the 10850k to be worth it as I just do lite streaming (5600x OCed@4.75 and 4.8). The 5600x is just Such a good chip, but the 10400f almost the same if you dont OC and it is 1/2 the cost.

But if your going to do High bitrate Streams and no Overclocking then I would get the 10700kf with a 240mm raditor. ~335$
5600x if you will use PBO. Worse for streaming but better upgrade path. ~300$
10400f if your using lite streaming settings. Nvenc 720p@60fps. ~155$

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOJvKVBc8bE
OBS Streaming Benchmarks
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOWEyyDcb8
Jay uses a 3300x 4core Cpu to show streaming results

Really just need to figure out what quality playback/webcam/nvenc/x264 you want to use. then you can narrow it down more.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Which ever comes out cheaper is the better value because in the end they are head to head. Win some lose some.

Between the 5600x/10700k I'd go with the 5600x. Doesn't need an expensive board to get decent performance, doesn't require exotic cooling, doesn't require oversized psu. Ends up cheaper by a good margin.

If looking at the 11700k, it's direct competition is the 5800x. And you run into the same argument. The Ryzen is cheaper. Doesn't hurt that it outperforms the 11700k across the board with only 1 or 2 minor exceptions.

Small Intels like the 10400 etc, no worries. But the big Intels simply aren't enough of a clear advantage to be worth the overall cost.

majkinson Since the Ryzen 5 5600X falls just short of the multicore performance of the Ryzen 7 3700X, I think it's a good streaming/gaming CPU. I also think the the core i7-10700K is a great option as well. However, if you're leaning towards Intel, then I would at least consider stretching the budget for the core i9-10850K (10C / 20C) to provide yourself some future-proofing. At the current Amazon US price of $398.21, I think it's a good value. Micro Center has it listed for 319.99, if you live within driving distance. It should hold it's value exceptionally well.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-lake-36ghz-ten-core-lga-1200-boxed-processor

I also agree with General Kenobi that the MSI MAG B460M MORTAR WIFI would be an excellent non-Z chipset board, IF you can find it for the Pre-December price of $124.99.

* Price history of MSI MAG B460M Mortar WIFI *
https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B0892VYBZG

* VRM performance of MSI MAG B460M Mortar WIFI *
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZe_VC4i3wk

jtk2515

Distinguished
Nvenc just get 10400f.
X264 medium 1080p medium 6000bitrate get 11700k or 5800x.
X264 slow 6000bitrate 8 cores is not enough. You will need a 10850k or 5900x.

This is just streaming and gaming not counting webcam if you want to add effects and such. But basic webcam 720p@30fps is fine even with the 10400f. If you want layover gameplay and such it requires more depending on the effect.

TRENDING THREADS