[SOLVED] 5700XT Hardware not showing.

I just bought a new Sapphire Pulse 5700XT to replace my 1070. I uninstalled the graphics drivers, shut off the computer, removed the 1070 and installed the 5700XT. I was greeted with a black screen on both DP and HDMI. I then used on board graphics to get into windows and in device manager the 5700XT isn't appearing at all and the AMD drivers are detecting the hardware.

The card is turning on since the lights and fans both come on and are even spinning the whole time. I ran DDU and still no luck. I hooked the card up with a single 8PIN and then use a 6+2 (8 pin to two 6+2) on the 6 pin port on the card. for power.

I don't know what else to try, I even unplugged my machine for 20 mins as a few people suggested and nothing.

Solution
OK just wanted to make sure.

Now the fans and lights coming on only mean that it has power. Verify that both cables are fully plugged in. If they are and its still not coming up you can put your old GPU in, if it works go to the BIOS and look for an option to force it to display out to the PCIe or may be called PEG. It should automatically once the GPU is plugged in.

The other thing you can try is the GPU in a friends system or another system to see if the same issue persists. If it does then we can rule the GPU as faulty.
That GPU has a minimum requirement of 600W. However I don't think thats the issue.

You said you are using an 8 pin to two 6 + 2 pin cables? Adapter can cause issues. Did your PCU not come with two 8 pin PCIe connectors? Most come with at least two and both are typically 6+2 pin cables.

OK just wanted to make sure.

Now the fans and lights coming on only mean that it has power. Verify that both cables are fully plugged in. If they are and its still not coming up you can put your old GPU in, if it works go to the BIOS and look for an option to force it to display out to the PCIe or may be called PEG. It should automatically once the GPU is plugged in.

The other thing you can try is the GPU in a friends system or another system to see if the same issue persists. If it does then we can rule the GPU as faulty.

Solution
I used to buy ATI specifically and then AMD when they bought ATI up to the HD 7970GHz. After that I went back to nVidia but for over 10 years I had ATI/AMD GPUs and I only bought Sapphire. Sapphire is like the EVGA for AMD. They only deal in AMD GPUs and tend to make some of the best.

It is possible that you got a bad GPU. It would be up to you to decide if you want to swap to a 2070 although I have never had a bad Sapphire GPU. But I can understand.

Now the 1070 you have only requires an 8 pin correct? If so for laughs can you try each 8 pin power cable on it and see if it comes up both times?

I used to buy ATI specifically and then AMD when they bought ATI up to the HD 7970GHz. After that I went back to nVidia but for over 10 years I had ATI/AMD GPUs and I only bought Sapphire. Sapphire is like the EVGA for AMD. They only deal in AMD GPUs and tend to make some of the best.

It is possible that you got a bad GPU. It would be up to you to decide if you want to swap to a 2070 although I have never had a bad Sapphire GPU. But I can understand.

Now the 1070 you have only requires an 8 pin correct? If so for laughs can you try each 8 pin power cable on it and see if it comes up both times?

Yeah I could try that, right now it have it hooked up with the single 8pin to 6+2 pin connector. Ill try the dual one and report back.

I also sent Sapphire an email so well see on that front. I'm really mad since I bought this card due to the high praise of Sapphire and the amazing price point.

Tried the other cable, works fine. The Sapphire automated support said to try and clear my CMOS, could that really do anything? I dont want to do that since I have a M.2 drive that I had to change some settings to get to work (its a PCIE speed). Otherwise my BIOS settings are already factory default.

Last edited:
Its plausible the BIOS needs to be cleared but I doubt it. I would give it a try and then report back to them.

It could also be the PSU. Again the 5700XT does require a 600W PSU minimum per AMD however you should be able to get a POST and boot to Windows with just 50W under the requirements and it would only have issues if you were maxing the PSU out under load, which in gaming should not. Especially considering the SuperNOVA G3 series got pretty good reviews and should be a solid PSU.

Yeah even maxed out with my CPU at most the power draw of the two would be under 400 watts. I know AMD and Nvidia both put the ratting pretty high to account for older and sub quality PSU units.

Ill try a CMOS reset if I hear back from and actual live Sapphire support agent. I really dont want to mess with my BIOS if I don't have to.

System Requirement

• Recommended 650 Watt Power Supply (Minimum 600 Watt Power Supply).
https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8g-gddr6
I'm aware, and as I just said both manufacturers put their recommend watts waaay higher then what is ever used. Even under an artificial load the 5700XT doesn't go above 300 watts, along with my 7700K again even under an artificial load is roughly 100 watts, so total 400, leaving 150 watts overhead. which the rest of my system probably uses maybe 10 or 20 at most. The PSU is not the issue.

Even if the PSU was the issue, it would be during heavy use I would have issues, and not having it missing from the device manager.