Question 5800X not boosting beyond stock PPT and 4.78Ghz all core

Ava Sterrsim

Commendable
Dec 8, 2021
Ive been fiddling with my cpu oc and have been trying to get it to 4.8ghz all core turbo for AVX workloads its a 5800X on a -30 CO and 3X scalar. (the scalar is a bit strong but any more and it has negligible effect.) It also appears that the scalar is necessary for it to properly draw the current for the current clock speed. it is high but this cpu is not going to live forever anyway. ive been trying to push past 142w PPT the settings are set up 190w PPT 160A EDC 100A TDC it only pulls stock right now.

Hey there,

If you have set all cores to -30, that may be the issue. Having per core is better for extreme clocks. The boost clocks for your CPU are 4.7ghz for 1-2 cores. Trying to hit 4.8ghz all core, is prob not achievable without a good bump in voltage. And that counters any undervolt you may have running.

What are program are you testing with for stability? Are you using the bios to OC/UV or Ryzen Master or some other third party app?

Reactions: Kona45primo

Ava Sterrsim

Commendable
Dec 8, 2021
Hey there,

If you have set all cores to -30, that may be the issue. Having per core is better for extreme clocks. The boost clocks for your CPU are 4.7ghz for 1-2 cores. Trying to hit 4.8ghz all core, is prob not achievable without a good bump in voltage. And that counters any undervolt you may have running.

What are program are you testing with for stability? Are you using the bios to OC/UV or Ryzen Master or some other third party app?
Bios to OC and UV and it appears adding voltage to the equation plays with the pbo algorithm and I lose boost is it possible to add voltage to push it wile not diminishing the returns from PBO.
-30 seems to have the best result So far i know of and 4.75-4.78ghz with a AVX workload (cinabench) and 4.88ghz non avx workloads.

Do you have any ideas why PBO is reducing the Boost if i add voltages? Im also not bouncing on thermally limited clock 4800mhz single core max at <85C my current thermals are 75c at 4.75-4.78Ghz on cinabench.