Question 5800x3D Higher Temps with Cinebench R23

Dec 7, 2022
Good afternoon all,

I recently purchased a 5800x3D to replace my old 2700x as Asrock released BIOS compatibility. I installed the 5800x3D with an EK basic 360 AIO and got everything up and running fine. During gaming or CPUZ stress test temps are hovering between 65 and 75c however, when running all core Cinebench R23 for 10 minute loop, my temps will hit almost 90c on the package and spike above 90 on CCD 0 (highest I saw was 91c). Frequency remains fairly high even at high temps around 4.2 gigahertz but the temps are causing concern. I have seen conflicting information about the subject where some people say 90c is higher than usual and some are saying even with 420mm AIO they will hit 90c on synthetic benchmarks. I have already reseated cpu, repasted the block and made sure contact from the block to the IHS was even but temps stay fairly consistent. I was worried I would need to RMA the chip, does anyone have experience with this chip that can weigh in?

Build:
Case: Lian Li PC 0-11 Dynamic --> 3 bottom intake 120mm fans, 3 side intake 120mm fans, radiator top mounted with 3 Vardar s fans acting as exhaust.
Mobo: Asrock x370 Killer Sli/Ac BIOS 7.40
Cooler: EKWB basic 360 AIO (full pump speed and fans at 100% at 80c)
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
At 90C begins thermal throttle. So, your chip being slightly below it, during bench, is normal.
CPU review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-review/3

Benchmark is to test overall system stability and will put a far greater load on a component than any normal load would. Hence higher temps. Whereby, when your system passes the bench, it passes any normal use with flying colors as well.

Here, i don't see a reason to worry.

Dec 7, 2022
At 90C begins thermal throttle. So, your chip being slightly below it, during bench, is normal.
CPU review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-review/3

Benchmark is to test overall system stability and will put a far greater load on a component than any normal load would. Hence higher temps. Whereby, when your system passes the bench, it passes any normal use with flying colors as well.

Here, i don't see a reason to worry.
Great thanks so much I really appreciate the reply

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
It's what you can expect with this chip. The addition of the extra layer of L3 cache just made it even hotter than the normal 5800x.

Mine does the same when pushing it like that. Think that 4200mhz should be just abit higher, but that maybe differs from chip to chip, mine does 4300mhz when pushing such a load.

You could test with another (better) paste on the cpu, maybe that will help just abit.

Dec 7, 2022
It's what you can expect with this chip. The addition of the extra layer of L3 cache just made it even hotter than the normal 5800x.

Mine does the same when pushing it like that. Think that 4200mhz should be just abit higher, but that maybe differs from chip to chip, mine does 4300mhz when pushing such a load.

You could test with another (better) paste on the cpu, maybe that will help just abit.
Oh okay great, thanks for the reply everyone is saying I’m good so that makes me feel a lot better.Is 4300 all core? I thought the all core boost capped at a little over 4.2.

Dec 7, 2022
The 4300mhz was all core. In the review linked above they said they did 4350mhz all core if i'm not mistaken.

Here they somehow did 4400mhz all core,

Maybe depends on motherboard/bios as well.
Interesting, I’ll have to look more into that. I may be tempted to buy a new MOBO

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Also, silicone lottery is a thing, and just because one chip can reach 4.3 Ghz all core, doesn't mean they all do. Yours struggles at 4.2 Ghz all core, so, might want to set it 4.1 Ghz all core, or remove OC all together, leaving base clocks of 3.4 Ghz, and boost clocks up to 4.5 Ghz, on some cores, when needed.

Dec 7, 2022
Also, silicone lottery is a thing, and just because one chip can reach 4.3 Ghz all core, doesn't mean they all do. Yours struggles at 4.2 Ghz all core, so, might want to set it 4.1 Ghz all core, or remove OC all together, leaving base clocks of 3.4 Ghz, and boost clocks up to 4.5 Ghz, on some cores, when needed.
I understand that point, my response on that was to clarify my understanding of the capabilities of the chip. It was my understanding that the upper threshold was all core boost of a little over 4.2 per AMD at stock settings

It depends on the silicon lottery.
If you get a "golden sample" it will have a lower default voltage. Which translates to less heat and higher boost.
My 5600x does 4.65ghz stock out of the box. on 2 cores.And 3.8-4.1 all core boost.
After lowering voltage it now does 4.65 up to 4 cores and 4.5 all core boost.
Every piece of silicon is different. So variables are expected

Dec 7, 2022
It depends on the silicon lottery.
If you get a "golden sample" it will have a lower default voltage. Which translates to less heat and higher boost.
My 5600x does 4.65ghz stock out of the box. on 2 cores.And 3.8-4.1 all core boost.
After lowering voltage it now does 4.65 up to 4 cores and 4.5 all core boost.
Every piece of silicon is different. So variables are expected
Oh okay, I thought that 4.2 was like a hard cap. Thanks for the clarification. I was maybe going to play around with undervolting and see what sort of response I get from that. I have seen quite a few have at least moderate success with it.

Reactions: Unolocogringo