Question 5800x3d Reaching 90c - 91c despite trying all solutions

Aug 31, 2022
Brand new 5800x3d in a NZXT H1. Yes, it shouldn't be in a SFF case, but I read other comments and threads with the same setup and the default H1 AIO being used and they get much lower temps, whereas I reach the thermal throttling limit almost instantly in intensive games.
Lets look at my attempts to stabilize it.

I've used PBO2 Tuner with an offset of -30 CO on all cores to no avail, nothing changed. I've messed around with my fan curve, nothing changed much. I've adjusted the maximum processor power in the power plan from 100% to 99%, effectively disabling turbo mode. No success there either. I also replaced the stock AIO fan with a Noctua NF-A14 140MM PWM.

When I thermal pasted the chip, I used a large sized center placed thermal paste, and screwed the AIO very tight. The AIO runs at over 4300RPM and the AIO Cooler always at max, and I still hit those temps.

Currently the only way to lower my temps is using the TEMP Limit within PBO2 Tuner, but I can imagine it's putting off a lot of performance.

I know I should switch case probably, but as I've read other people with same setup and not as extreme temps of mine I'm very puzzled. I don't care about high temps, just a quiet, console looking pc, but nothing I do fixes it.

As I see the only solution for me right now is a bigger case with more airflow and more pristine CPU cooler, but I don't want to :< already used so much money

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've seen fairly powerful builds put into the H1, a single 140mm isn't amazing, but should work very well on a 5800X3D.

Perhaps you have over tightened the cooler? Motherboard warpage is possible, but also those interfaces are rarely perfectly flat. Typical to have the CPU a little concave and the coolers a little convex, you may have pumped out too much paste.

Does it still overheat with the cooler/chassis open? I would certainly test that before resorting to replacing components.

Could also be air locked. Shake it around, rotate it through every orientation off and on to see if there are trapped air bubbles in the pump.

Also a situation where lapping the heatspreader and CPU cooler may benefit you for that little bit extra heat conductivity. Not sure I can recommend direct die cooling with such a setup, probably unwise.

I've used PBO2 Tuner with an offset of -30 CO on all cores to no avail, nothing changed. I've messed around with my fan curve, nothing changed much. I've adjusted the maximum processor power in the power plan from 100% to 99%, effectively disabling turbo mode. No success there either. I also replaced the stock AIO fan with a Noctua NF-A14 140MM PWM.
From what I heard here in the forum, when you have pbO (override/overclock) enabled it will disregard any other settings and keep the override in place.
So try to, disable PBO don't put it on auto, save and reset bios.

Also make sure your bios has all the fixes for the x3d chips, keeping vsoc at 1.35V or below, if it is old you should update it.

Other than that the normal Precision boost is made to reach 95° to give you the best performance.