[SOLVED] 5900X running very hot on Be quiet Dark Rock 4

PotatoDay14

Honorable
Nov 6, 2015
Hello everyone!
Yesterday i finally got my Ryzen 9 5900X in. I was very excited to finally receive it, but i'm encountering a few problems.
After going through a horrible installation process for the Be quiet Dark Rock 4 and having to redo it twice i finally got it installed.
And now i'm having idle temps of 60°C and on load just shy of 80°C with peaks up to 89°C.
I suspect these temps aren't very normal.
Did i go for a to weak of a cooler for this CPU?
I usually use Arctic Silver thermal paste but i lost it so i had to use the included thermal paste. But i doubt this could be the cause for these high temps, right?My mobo is a brand new MSI MPG x570 EDGE WIFI.
Many thanks for your help

Computer Type: Desktop
GPU:
MSI 2070
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard:
MSI MPG x570 GAMING EDGE WIFI.
RAM:
2x16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600mhz
PSU:
Corsair 750W Gold
Case:
Corsair 570x

Last edited:
Solution
Hello everyone!

Today i finally got my Ryzen 9 5900X in. I was very excited to finally receive it, but i'm encountering a few problems.
After going through a horrible installation process for the Be quiet Dark Rock 4 and having to redo it twice i finally got it installed.
And now i'm having idle temps of 60°C and on load just shy of 80°C with peaks up to 89°C.

I usually use Arctic Silver thermal paste but i lost it so i had to use the included thermal paste. But i doubt this could be the cause for these high temps, right?

-Wiebe
At normal conditions that cooler should do much better, specially at idle. Maybe...
Hello everyone!

Today i finally got my Ryzen 9 5900X in. I was very excited to finally receive it, but i'm encountering a few problems.

I usually use Arctic Silver thermal paste but i lost it so i had to use the included thermal paste. But i doubt this could be the cause for these high temps, right?

-Wiebe
At normal conditions that cooler should do much better, specially at idle. Maybe it's not mounted ideally. Paste make/model itself wouldn't account for more than 2-5c.
Case cooling or lack/inadequacy of it should not account for more than 10c.
Zen3 processors are allowed higher temps than predecessors but high idle temp ( should be no more than 10c above ambient) shows that something is not right.

Solution