Question 5900X temps?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 21, 2022
I just turned my new build on for the second time, and I've heard the 5900x goes hot but I dont know if 90c while installing updates and Valorant is right... it seems too high. I have it hooked up to a corsair h150i for reference

He said he tried the Undervolt and it crashed. Some experimenting my prove it will or will not work for him.

As Phaaze has pointed out this very well could be mostly due to the thermal paste application.

Op if it helps I used Noctua's Nt-h1 paste in 3 dot method but would suggest following Phaaze's recomemdation for proper application of TG as I have never used that paste.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!! will be watching and here if I can help.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
As Phaaze has pointed out this very well could be mostly due to the thermal paste application.
I don’t think so, the method he used for TIM was solid, X method is used by many experts. Also tim application is overrated, as long as you don’t put on too less, it will be fine, eg. there isn’t too much because it will be squeezed out anyway.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I used Noctua NT-H2 paste and it came with instructions to use a 5 dot method for Ryzen. It might be worth redoing your paste just to see if it changes anything. Clean all the old paste with a coffee filter and then use rubbing alcohol on both surfaces before repasting.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
View: https://imgur.com/a/2eM2chf

Well thats not very good is it... hopefully changing it fixes it
No, it's not. The whole IHS should be covered.
If it were an Intel cpu, it might even be ok, because their dies are smack dab in the center, with the heat radiating outward in a small area around said center.
With Ryzen 5000, there's more than one die, and they're not in the center either, so heat radiates outwards in multiple spots... that's why it's best to completely cover these cpus.

Jun 21, 2022
No, it's not. The whole IHS should be covered.
If it were an Intel cpu, it might even be ok, because their dies are smack dab in the center, with the heat radiating outward in a small area around said center.
With Ryzen 5000, there's more than one die, and they're not in the center either, so heat radiates outwards in multiple spots... that's why it's best to completely cover these cpus.
Yeah I know lol, unfortunatly I'm out of paste so I'll get back to you guys tuesday when I can get my hands on some grizzly

Jun 21, 2022
Yeah I know lol, unfortunatly I'm out of paste so I'll get back to you guys tuesday when I can get my hands on some grizzly
This was the problem!
BIOS temps have dropped from 60C to 25C
Windows Idle has dropped from 80-90 to 40-50
Cinebench R23 (100% load) has dropped from 90 to 66C.
Glad someone pointed that out, it honestly was the last thing I wouldve checked.

Reactions: emitfudd