650 watt enough for 7970 setup?

gamer23

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
I was told 550 was barely enough becuase the combined voltage of 44 on 2 rails was just a couple of AMPS over then whats required so im in the process of returning it to amazon. I saw this nice corsair psu http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E98I0G/?tag=pcpapi-20

Its 650 watts i dont know how many amps the 12v rail has but its a single rail though. Would this work for my setup? How do you plug in the psu to the gpu is it one single wire? Or 2 can i just put in one wire?

Solution
Get the Seasonic, it got the gold award from hardwaresecrets, a good PSU reviewer site.

You plug in both PCIE 6 PIN and PCIE 8 PIN connector.

For a single HD 7970, you don't need more than a quality 500W PSU, 550W for some room and heavy OCing 24/7.

gamer23

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Do you have this unit though? Ive read DOZENS of negative reviews saying it makes loud chirping noises when the fan goes on or off. And thats after they exchanged it i dont want any problems. So im probally just going to get an antec 630 modular

Yeah but I'm 100% sure that your system doesn't consume more than 650W with everything OCed to the max. A 950W is a bit of unrealistic saying with your system listed specs.

Of course I do understand and I do know and I have read all of the reviews from;
Toms, techpowerup, guru3d, hardwarecanucks, hardwareheaven and finally legitreviews and I can say, and there's non confirms your claims. Do I have to come up with some quotes and charts?

stock clocked lightning can in some circumstances draw almost 400W of power
Merry Chrsitmas!

I swear I knew you'd come with the tweaktown numbers, I never trusted this website or linked a single link from it so I didn't include it in my reviews database.

And in case you can't see, that's "total system wattage" from the legitreviews" with "furmark" bench, which there's nobody on earth runs furmark 24/7. And again, with these results, considering you are running 2 of the cards, you shouldn't exceed 750W running furmark 24/7.

Same story for the Maximum test by techpowerup;
Maximum: Furmark Stability Test at 1280x1024, 0xAA. This results in a very high non-game power consumption that can typically be reached only with stress testing applications

From the Peak test, which is the maximum load that any average user can experience with the MSI lightening, the card draw 233W, close to the guru3d test which scored 203W throwing a hefty stressing game.

OCING? OCing will add around 80W at best results, giving a card total power of 300W, so 2 of it in CF mode we're talking about 600W, adding 160-180W to an OCed i7 system with some fans so we're talking about a 750W and that's of course in case you're running the PC @ load 24/7.

Fortunately HARDOCP tested the card when OCed at full load and reported the Total System wattage;
13320945132usx2rjzoM_9_1.gif

A 558W at full load with an OCed power hungry i7 930 and OCed 1190 MHz HD 7970.

Get the Seasonic, it got the gold award from hardwaresecrets, a good PSU reviewer site.

You plug in both PCIE 6 PIN and PCIE 8 PIN connector.

For a single HD 7970, you don't need more than a quality 500W PSU, 550W for some room and heavy OCing 24/7.

Solution

No I came to give an explanations for those who don't know the required wattage for their systems and might follow your recommendation just because you don't know the proper system wattage you must have. Open a thread in the CPUs section claiming a 1200w PSU for a dual card and you'll get like a " :eek: " from the geeks there.

Again, Furmark stresses every capacitor and coil on the graphics board to push the power to the limits and that's apart from the temperature side, try running Furmark for 24/7 days and kiss goodbye your GPUs.