66 Percent of Windows Users Are Still Running XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
We have 200 PC's on our network, 10ish now are Windows 7. At this point (since the economy dumped) our average pc is 3 years old and runs Win XP perfectly. Win XP does everything we need it to in a fast moving business. Those PC's will continue to run XP until they die (5 to 10 years life). Any new PC we buy has Windows7. Windows 7 doesn't do anything we need different then XP but it runs well (like XP). We are like every other company out there. WinXp will be around for a long long time.

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Windows 7 is a huge upgrade over windows XP. Yes it does take time to get use to the UI changes, but once you are comfortable with it you will never look back. But what about the hardware requirements? If you have a computer that was produced in the last 5 years it should be able to run windows 7, maybe not without all the bells and whistles but it will run. On average i have noticed that 7 only uses maybe 10-20% more resources than XP, which is about 10-20% less than vista used(That's just for my computer yours maybe different). For the individual user there is no reason to stick with XP. For companies and schools I understand them not upgrading as it is hard to convince the higher-ups to spend money on something that works for now.

f-14

Distinguished
1 machine i have has 7, don't really enjoy it as much as XP which i didn't like over win98 despite the huge improvement. things are idiot redundant more and more on each new OS and i am not one of those idiots that needs all control taken from me just to be second guessed every time and always incorrectly. it's a bish trying to assign a specific IP address or set up a network and having windows try to hostily take over the procedure and f'it all up. also i do not like anything trying to seconds guess me as i am so random all it does is instapiss me off. and the resources vista and 7 hog? omg my old intellivision boots faster then that and is more responsive then vista/7 btw it took me 30 seconds to break vista and a lil over a minute to break 7 BSD's i continually BSD them on a daily basis because they refuse to work properly with the internet or the software they won't operate. don't even get me started on the hardware. all i can say is i thank god everyday for dual booting.

if you're good with computers and planning on buying 7 wait until service pack 1 is out, maybe even service pack 2. too many headaches with vista/7 to not want to go postal at microsoft corp every single day. wait for the hardware you need to be designed for windows 7 first and not backward compatiable with vista/xp as you'll pull your hair out.

cloudberry

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I've built a Phenom X6 computer running Windows 7 for my video editing artist-mother, but I'm still using an ancient, single core, socket 939 machine running an even older Windows XP. The sentimental value I hold in the old thing (along with the old games it can play) goes beyond irrational.

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
to me, the differnce between xp and 7 is the difference between driving a stick and an automatic..

Windows 7, though most of the time can be configured not to, does more for you... I am personally quite capable of doing it myself.

anonymuos

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Don't upgrade to Windows 7. You will repent. It's not a bad product but it's worse than XPs usability. Tons of removed features and stuff gone completely for no reason at all. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_features_removed_in_Windows_7 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_features_removed_in_Windows_Vista. The things removed from Vista aren't there in Windows 7 either. The same problem is happening to IE9, Live Essentials 2011, Windows Media Player 12, Virtual PC. Microsoft products are getting severely dumbed down and all the customizability and power being taken away from users. All it's about eye-candy and minimalism now.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Windows XP? I'm still holding the line with Windows 2000. Every time I install XP I wonder why, and go back to Windows 2000.

At least Windows 7 does a few things better than Windows 2000, although certainly not everything. Windows XP is just a bloated, slow, annoying (does anyone with an IQ over 80 not put it back into "classic view"?) version of Windows 2000. I'm glad I skipped it. Windows 7 wasn't really worth the wait though, but it's not bad by Microsoft standards.

It's too bad they don't have any real competition. Unix and derivatives have never qualified as real competition. They're like the team the Harlem Globetrotters play.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Let me preface the following with:
I use Win7 Ult x64 and it "agrees with me".

How are we defining "Windows Users"? Are these home users? Parents with college kids that need a laptop? Professionals? Builder/Enthusiasts? Corporate volume users (who do not have a choice in view of IT and company charter)?

I have seen that 99% of what WinXP does in any of the categories I mentioned is still valid, despite WinNT 5.1 being surpassed by WinNT 6.1.

Aside from gaming/entertainment, I have not seen a practical (much less financial) reason for people to switch away from WinXP.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I've been using W7 at home since the open beta, but from a business standpoint it can be a step back to upgrade.
All our PCs here are running XP, even though they all have Vista licenses. I think the only time they will consider upgrading to W7 is when they upgrade the PCs again, which won't be for quite some time.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
At work here we're running Windows XP, however a lot of these PC's are 7-8 years old. As they're dying we're replacing them with Win7 PC's.

I prefer Windows 7 as I find the interface a lot easier to multitask with. It's a fantastic interface. Dual-monitor seems to be a lot less hassle as well, compared to XP.

I was quite surprised to find that my previous work PC (Intel E7200, 2GB RAM) ran the same speed, if not better under Windows 7 than it did the ol' XP.

I can understand people not upgrading their current PC's to Win7, but if you buy a new PC and put Windows XP on it.. you won't be getting the most out of your hardware. I think to a lot of XP fans, this won't worry them though.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Windows XP? I'm still holding the line with Windows 2000. Every time I install XP I wonder why, and go back to Windows 2000. At least Windows 7 does a few things better than Windows 2000, although certainly not everything. Windows XP is just a bloated, slow, annoying (does anyone with an IQ over 80 not put it back into "classic view"?) version of Windows 2000. I'm glad I skipped it. Windows 7 wasn't really worth the wait though, but it's not bad by Microsoft standards. It's too bad they don't have any real competition. Unix and derivatives have never qualified as real competition. They're like the team the Harlem Globetrotters play.[/citation]
That's just personal sentiments. XP is famous for its versatility, speed is a non issue with some tweaking and modding. While 2000 is famous for, well,I can't remember anything about that particular OS. With XP at 66%, and Vista+7 around 25%, that would put the 2000+95+98+ME at 9%. I wonder what's the percentage for Windows 2000 alone? Hmmm...

tuxplorer

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Perhaps as a geek my time with Microsoft is done. The evolution of the OS is certainly geared for my 70 yr old mother with no computer experience while I struggle with finding the simple things within the OS.

G

Its no surprise since most companies want to save cash by not spending a new os which the old one already works. Until Microsoft ceases supporting xp, we won't see a swooping upgrade until windows 8 or 9 in 2014-2016. By that time, our computers will have 48 intel cores cpu, octo-sli, 4tb ssd at $200, HAF 982, 1200W PSU 80 plus Platinum, 16 DDR4 4000 MHz. We did come a long way 4 years ago...

ibemerson

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Maybe 66% of people are focusing on avoiding foreclosure?

Anyways I've used Windows 7 since it came out. I'm pretty sure the "7" refers to the target age group. Windows Explorer is horrificly broken. It has a start menu that only mime (trapped in a tiny box) could like. Search function is crude. I didn't like any of the included color schemes but it wouldn't let me customize it the way I wanted. It took me 3 months of trying various registry edits, third-party shells & utilities to get anywhere close to computing as efficiently as I did with XP.

Yes there were some improvements in Windows 7 but most of the changes were just utterly ridiculous.

mrmez

Splendid
Hardly surprising. After the Vista disaster, people are a bit reluctant to get bitten by another bad product. W7 is good, but I think this shows less about MS and more about peoples computers and their usage. Sure in 2010 most households have a computer, but i think the average computer is old, slow and outdated, with the users not demanding much of them, there is little incentive to upgrade.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I have 4 PCs running XP, 1 on Vista, and 2 on 7 64bit. I love 7 but the machines running XP,(they are by no means old), are working perfectly and does what they were built for. For now, its seems to be a good idea to save some money so I will not put new a OS on older PCs but I will put 7 on new ones.

eusebe

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Hey, maybe the study had to show what kind of users the XP users are... I'm working for a huge international company and all the pc's are running XP...
You need to know that companies are not early adopters, so it's normal that the XP users are still this high

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I wrestled with Vista 64 as despite its flaws the only way to actually get the use out of multi core machines with large RAM configurations, was to abandon XP. Now I have Win 7 on my i series machines and I can't imagine ever going back. I have been able to really load on programs. XP could never handle a large number of programs for long. I have been able to remove software and change Graphics Cards (including Drivers) and suffered no loss in performance. XP may be good for businesses when it is still serving the purpose for which it was bought. But any enthusiast who has not migrated to Win 7 is really missing out on a quality computing experience.

danielgr

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Personally :
- Nearly everyone that has used Win7 simply loves it (and I get it running on 10 years old computers perfectly fine, much better than any uber-patched WinXP unless you switch all of your XP services off.
- To me there are two obvious reasons as of why people is getting so long to update:
1) The ammount of PCs in the world has risen dramatically since the launch of WinXP. Nowadays most people are "replacing" an old WinXP with a Wi, whereas for millions of people WinXP was their first ever PC (or second, or third). It was much easier to quickly grab share in the past.
2) Though it may seem a taboo, the fact is outside companies number of pirate WinXps tops the licensed ones in many countries. Since Vista (and now with Win7) Microsoft has gotten serious about "selling" their software, and it's pretty hard to get a nice-working & stable pirate Win7. I wonder what would the stat shown here become if it took in account only "genuine" WinXP's vs. genuine Win7's.

Status
Not open for further replies.