elmondinio

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I just bought all the components for my PC, but I'm having second thoughts about my video card.. :(

I will be running radeon 6950 on a 24-27inch screen, and started to wonder whether I should return this card and get a 2gb version instead

what are your thoughts?

ross_mitchell

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Get the 2gb one if you are willing to flash the bios to a 6970 bios

otherwise just get the 1gb version as they get almost identical performance
(on 1080p and less)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Whether you have 1GB or 2GB really has no bearing on being able to display well on a HDTV/monitor. Most likely, your HDTV /monitor will display at 1920x1080 resolution (physical size is not a factor either, it is a matter of resolution) and both versions can more than handle that.

The decision to got to the 2GB version should be based on what games/apps you plan to use. Most games can't take advantage with more than 1GB, so unless you are really pushing it (video features, etc) you should be fine as is.

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You are still in the 1GB GPU range for this resolution. What games are you playing/considering?

elmondinio

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

anything and everything.. I'm hoping to use this GPU for a long time.. but I'm not sure whether 1gb will be sufficient enough for upcoming games..

I will definitely play a lot of GW2 and was planning to fraps. Also I'm wanting to play the new deus x

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Up to you then. If you can afford it, there is no harm in getting the 2GB model. You will see little, if any difference, in the vast majority of cases in terms of performance.

Really not a wrong answer here as long as you don't expect something not realistic. Twice as much memory does not mean twice as fast. It really means the GPU can digest some larger chunks of data more effectively than the lesser version. It still has the same on-board processor and design.

Have fun and good luck!!!