[SOLVED] 6pin to 8pin adapter safety

mrlegos21

Prominent
Sep 21, 2020
Hey guys, my question would be the following:
I bought a gigabyite g1 1070 gpu,but it needs 8pin to power up. my current psu only has 6.
The psu is a kolink chs 600,600w which in my opinion is a good psu,and i only heard good things about it,long term.
Im curious if it would be safe enough to use the 1070 with a 6to8pin pcie adapter for like a month or two,because rn i cant afford a new psu,but as soon as i can,i plan to buy a new one.
Im currently using an Asus r7 360 oc 2gb.

Solution
The psu is a kolink chs 600,600w which in my opinion is a good psu,and i only heard good things about it,long term.
Cheap garbage.

Generally, when PSU doesn't have necessary connections for specific graphics card, then it's not suitable for it.

Not really recommending this, but ..
To get PCIE 8pin, you'd have to use 2x 6pin to 8pin adapter.
Your psu has only single PCIE 6pin connector.
So you'll need 2x molex to PCIE 6pin adapter also.

bef5dd58c9a0125119424a1c5374f7b9.webp.jpg

61eLkkufGBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Cheap garbage.

Generally, when PSU doesn't have necessary connections for specific graphics card, then it's not suitable for it.

Not really recommending this, but ..
To get PCIE 8pin, you'd have to use 2x 6pin to 8pin adapter.
Your psu has only single PCIE 6pin connector.
So you'll need 2x molex to PCIE 6pin adapter also.

bef5dd58c9a0125119424a1c5374f7b9.webp.jpg

61eLkkufGBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rgd1101
Solution

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
a kolink chs 600,600w which in my opinion is a good psu
Heh, at least you clarified "in my opinion". It's a Core series.

And the reason using wacko adapters should be always discouraged.

The use of MOLEX to EPS or 6+2 aux should be considered a crime.

The use of MOLEX to EPS or 6+2 aux should be considered a crime.
molex is robust (8.5amper on 12v which is about 100watts), but people usualy forget to use two different molex cables
using two different molex cables to 6pin pcie is ok
using two 6pin pcie to single 8pin pcie is ok
it may not look nice, but shouldnt cause any issue with using adapters like this as long adapters arent some knockoff china 5A wires

replacing PSU is also an option

Last edited:
Hey guys, my question would be the following:
I bought a gigabyite g1 1070 gpu,but it needs 8pin to power up. my current psu only has 6.
Im curious if it would be safe enough to use the 1070 with a 6to8pin pcie adapter for like a month or two,because rn i cant afford a new psu,but as soon as i can,i plan to buy a new one.
Im currently using an Asus r7 360 oc 2gb.

It's a garbage PSU.

Rule of thumb: If the PSU doesn't have the correct connectors to start with, it wasn't engineered to power what you're wanting to power.

Get a new PSU.

TRENDING THREADS