70% of Microsoft Staff are Working on the Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I doubt it, it depends on the data really. I can't see myself giving them all my photos and what not. I do not want people going through my personal files which is bound to happen.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
So... Microsoft will be going under in just over a years time... hmm... interesting... I think someone has been replacing their non-dairy creamer with another powdery white substance... cloud computing will be a part of the future... but it won't be the future

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
cloud computing will be a success for businesses to save cost on computing costs and IT staff but for home use It is not needed. It wont be that much of a success for home users I hope.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
No faith. This is an old model that originally failed, and persoanl computers are a hell of a lot more powerful now.

The reason and potential they are talking about is control and profit.

1) They are going to kill computer advances for users, thus forcing you to pay premiums for sub-par processing. (Atom and entourage)
2) They are going to jack the prices of all powerful servers that will be sold to corporations to power cloud apps.
3) They are going to start being as invasive as google when it comes to your personal info and what kind of money they can make from it.

FIGHT THE POWER!
DESTROY ALL BABYBOOMERS!
:D

bob s

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Its not Cloud Storage from a reliablity standpoint that I have a problem with. I, like others, don't trust cloud privacy. Too many companies like to act as big brothers and look at everything.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Hell no isn't the recent Google/China hacking event not clear enough. No accountability, no security and no control over you own data. Please pass whatever you’re smoking over here. Only a retard would trust the cloud.

G

[citation][nom]jossrik[/nom]I don't trust clowns at all.[/citation]

Thanks for the giggle,

Cloud is definately the way forward for all the millions of poor people who really do not think about privacy!

No not me thanks microsoft. Besides, this is good, further away from traditional desktop use the more room and scope for Linux to support our desktops, come on linux for the Gaming already!!

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]No faith. This is an old model that originally failed, and persoanl computers are a hell of a lot more powerful now.[/citation]
This is the reason they want to force us to the cloud. To take the power of personal computers away from the people and get it back into their hands where they can "monetize" it and rip us off so much more efficiently.

"Oh, you haven't paid your cloud bill this month? We are holding your data for ransom until you pay it or our hold time is up whereupon we will auction it off to the highest bidder. Have a nice day!"

Oh and it was the "original" model back in the day... And it was supremely expensive then also and very unfriendly to use.

memeroot

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
0.0001% of staff should be working on transfering my live account from the uk to the netherlands rather than knocking me off xbox live!!!

what utter c*nts.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
If we get forced to move to cloud computing, i am going to burn my computer and never use it. Cloud computing is the most retarded idea ever. Speaking of Facebook, i hate that crap too never used it and i will never use it.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Cloud computing might make sense for some people and some uses. I don't see it for myself or my company though.

I remember the days when we would punch cards, hand them to some zoned out guy behind a counter, wait and wait for a printout to magically appear. Then one day computers got smaller and cheaper and we could all have our OWN! No more sharing with someone else, no more waiting, no more wondering when we would get our results, the computer was there to serve its owner immediately.

Now you want us to go back to the old way?

PLUS the fact that most places the internet is very unreliable. I have home internet and business internet with major internet suppliers and they are not reliable. I travel a little bit and always take my computer. Internet connection beyond my house and office is very unreliable. So getting to data and apps would always be questionable. But MY OWN computer always works for me.

G

I will never trust any of my files with any online company. Not even if they are password protected and encrypted. Not a week goes by without hearing of a company getting hacked and losing their customer data.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Of course, if Microsoft pushes everyone into the cloud then Google might just get a chance to displace them... especially with Google's "3 years to irrelevant desktops" statement and the reaction to that, no way the cloud is taking over.

My prime examples to trusting the cloud? Kindle and 1984. Apple and the app store (wifi sniffers, adult apps, approval process). Both these show that once you trust a 3rd party company to control your data, you may get royally screwed.

Ridik876

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I guess I'm the only one that wouldn't mind this. I could care less if "Big Brother" sifts through my files and looks at pictures of my trip to Ecuador...big whoop. And in terms of security, you think the average consumer with free anti-virus software from download.com would be better protected? I wouldn't think so, Google China hack or not.

The fact is most consumers wouldn't be a target of malicious activity (unless you are storing credit card numbers and SSN on the cloud). I'm more understanding from a business aspect where sensitive data may be involved. But again, how sure are you that keeping your data on site is more secure than cloud computing?

I dunno, can't really speak for businesses. But IMO, sounds like a win for home computing.

danponjican

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Most of us a gen x-ers here... we still value privacy a little. The thing is... the next generation (call them what every you want... gen Y) values privacy VERY little. Just look at some of these emerging technologies. Location based computing is HOT right now with the youngest users. They feel no issue at all broadcasting there precise location all over top social networking sites and even associating what that location is (i.e. home, school, work, etc.). They can care less about privacy... you think cloud computing will concern them?

Status
Not open for further replies.