710XL system crashes to boot

bill

I have a 11/2002 710XL.

With increasing frequency the system will crash to boot. Software
program or action being used does not matter. Some times, but not
always when left unattended the system will go into sleep mode and will
not recover with out a power disconnect to reboot.

Gateway solution to this, as always, is to reformat the hard drive.

Any ideas before I spend hours and hours reinstalling software.

I am thinking it may be heat or a bad power supply. What is a good
supplemental fan to install in this machine and where.

Thanks,

Bill

Does the problem happen when you boot into Safe Mode?

"Bill" <bill@welovenh.com> wrote in message
> I have a 11/2002 710XL.
>
> With increasing frequency the system will crash to boot. Software
> program or action being used does not matter. Some times, but not
> always when left unattended the system will go into sleep mode and will
> not recover with out a power disconnect to reboot.
>
> Gateway solution to this, as always, is to reformat the hard drive.
>
> Any ideas before I spend hours and hours reinstalling software.
>
> I am thinking it may be heat or a bad power supply. What is a good
> supplemental fan to install in this machine and where.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

bill

Unknown Mr. Neth as I do not keep it in Safe mode that long.

Knock on wood...After crashing 5 times in 8 hours the machine has now
gone about 48 hours without a problem.

I still want to do a case fan...any recommendations.

Bill