Question 7600k vs 2600x for streaming

Apr 26, 2019
Would it be safe to say that the 2600x would be better for streaming than the i5-7600k? Would I be better off going with a 1700x? Both the 1700x and 2600x go for around 170$ buy now on ebay. Currently I stream using NVENC because my i5 already runs 100% on most games, and my 1070 ti often has some unused power.

Would it be safe to say that the 2600x would be better for streaming than the i5-7600k? Would I be better off going with a 1700x? Both the 1700x and 2600x go for around 170$ buy now on ebay. Currently I stream using NVENC because my i5 already runs 100% on most games, and my 1070 ti often has some unused power.

Well if you want to keep using NVENC then you won't see much benefit in streaming specifically, although moving to a 2600X should be a nice boost to game performance anyway.

If you are talking switching to cpu encoding, then I think the 1700X might be the best way to go- as whilst it's a little slower in games than a 2600X the extra cores + threads really help in cpu encoding so you should have more headroom for higher streaming settings without compromising game performance.

Reactions: smokysnail
I think its definitely safe to say that a 2600x is better than the i5-7600k for streaming. Its just that right now, there are some other options you could consider. If you can wait until Ryzen 3000 officially comes out, then you could definitely look into that for cheap-ish but better performance, as well as a possible price drop on other processors. The 1700x is also an option as cdrkf said because of the extra cores, but would really be best suited if you are going to switch to CPU encoding.

Reactions: smokysnail
Apr 26, 2019
I think its definitely safe to say that a 2600x is better than the i5-7600k for streaming. Its just that right now, there are some other options you could consider. If you can wait until Ryzen 3000 officially comes out, then you could definitely look into that for cheap-ish but better performance, as well as a possible price drop on other processors. The 1700x is also an option as cdrkf said because of the extra cores, but would really be best suited if you are going to switch to CPU encoding.
yes, I've been keeping a close eye on Ryzen 3000, and the 1700x seems to be the best fit for me, because I'm sure the price will drop at least a little more, and 140-150$ for an 8 core would be awesome

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin
i5 7600k won't be any better than what you have now, in fact in many modern titles, the Ryzen 1600 beats the i5 7600k due to a lack of threads. 4 cores and threads isn't enough these days.

If you're streaming, using CPU encoding (for best possible picture without all the blockiness) then you definitely want the 8 core. Many modern games don't need super high clock speeds and are more gpu bottlenecked with a mid-range gpu such as yours. The extra cores will allow you to CPU encode very easily, while also playing games.