7800x OC Settings

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hi all,

I know this is sort of taboo this late in the game but I really wanted to try the X299 platform coming from a dying 5930k.

Anyway, I just hooked up my 7800x yesterday, specs at the very bottom. After some super preliminary testing and leaving prime95 on all night, my cpu passed @ 4.6ghz 1.22 Vcore, 3.0 ghz mesh @ 1.075v. (Ram is an XMP set to 3000).

I tried running the same mesh/ram settings and bumped the CPU cores up to 4.8ghz @ 1.25 but it wasn't stable.

So, I am a bit new to OCing and welcome all general advice on the cpu but also had a few specific questions:

1. What is the max vcore you'd recommend for the cpu for daily use? I have a swiftech drive x3 360 AIO cooler. It keeps this thing in the mid 60s low 70s during prime95.

2. Is OCing the mesh to 3.0ghz more important than the core clock? For instance, should I try to max out core clock first, and then go to ocing the mesh clock? Could the mesh being OCed right now be preventing me from getting it higher than 4.6ghz?

3. I don't really understand the AVX offset settings 100%. I have them set to -2 right now (both avx and avx512). Should that be different?

4. What stability testing do you recommend strictly for the CPU? Currently I am just using prime95, and I also run cinebench to see if the score goes up any.

Specs:
i7 7800x
MSI X299 Tomahawk Arctic
16 gb DDR4 @ 3000mhz
GTX 1080
EVGA Supernova G2 1300W psu

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Hi xxxlun4icexxx,

The rule is, let everything on auto,
then stress test and note your voltage and frequency and put them manually in bios.
Then you have two path to follow :

1°/ Better performance :
Bump your multiplier until it's not stable then bump voltage (increments of 0.025-0.05V)
Once you've reach the frequency you want, lower the voltage as much as you can as long as it remains stable.

2°/ Better thermals
Keep stock frequency and reduce voltage as much as you can until it's not stable.

Perhaps, your CPU will not be able to reach that frequency without a crazy voltage

TIPS : Stay below 85°C during stress test and below 1.35-1.38V for daily usage.

To answer your questions :

3°/ AVX offset is used to reduce CPU frequency when avx instructions are processed (They are used in some rare games and heavy scientific computation)