Question 7800x3d or 7950x3d? Does the latter still have performance issues?

Just That Dude

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2016
I am planning on building a new PC and I'm finding it difficult on deciding whether to pick the 7800x3d or the 7950x3d. I will use my PC for gaming at 1440p at 240Hz, and some minor productivity like photoshop and video editing software.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer to help me decide which CPU is best for me.

1. Does the 7950x3d have issues utilising its x3d cores? I read in old posts that it struggles to make use of them properly and a third party tool such as project lasso is needed? Is this still the case or has this been fixed by AMD? Some people on some threads are saying using xbox game bar is sufficient and project lasso is not needed? Could someone shed some light on this matter?
  2. If the 7950x3d properly utilises its x3d cores for gaming, is it basically the same gaming performance as a 7800x3d or is it better or worse? I've seen some benchmarks from Hardware Unboxed posted 2 days ago, which seem to show the 7800x3d being 7% faster in a 13 day game average benchmark, how is this possible if the 7950x3d has its other cores parked during gaming?
  3. Are there any 1440p gaming benchmarks comparing these two CPU's with the 7950x3d properly making use of its x3d cores?
I currently have a 5900x which has served me well. The thing that is holding me back from choosing the 7950x3d is if the gaming performance is significantly worse. And the thing that is holding me back from choosing the 7800x3d is that it has only 8 cores.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I am planning on building a new PC and I'm finding it difficult on deciding whether to pick the 7800x3d or the 7950x3d. I will use my PC for gaming at 1440p at 240Hz, and some minor productivity like photoshop and video editing software.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer to help me decide which CPU is best for me.

1. Does the 7950x3d have issues utilising its x3d cores? I read in old posts that it struggles to make use of them properly and a third party tool such as project lasso is needed? Is this still the case or has this been fixed by AMD? Some people on some threads are saying using xbox game bar is sufficient and project lasso is not needed? Could someone shed some light on this matter?
  2. If the 7950x3d properly utilises its x3d cores for gaming, is it basically the same gaming performance as a 7800x3d or is it better or worse? I've seen some benchmarks from Hardware Unboxed posted 2 days ago, which seem to show the 7800x3d being 7% faster in a 13 day game average benchmark, how is this possible if the 7950x3d has its other cores parked during gaming?
  3. Are there any 1440p gaming benchmarks comparing these two CPU's with the 7950x3d properly making use of its x3d cores?
I currently have a 5900x which has served me well. The thing that is holding me back from choosing the 7950x3d is if the gaming performance is significantly worse. And the thing that is holding me back from choosing the 7800x3d is that it has only 8 cores.

Any help would be much appreciated!
7950x3D has added x3D cache only on one module which OS, programs and games don't "know" when and how to use so it's not of much help. 7800x3d has only one module and whole cache is always available. Therefore, 7800x3D makes more sense for gaming as it's mostly some games that use it properly and is cheaper than 7950x3D.
Where 4 more cores is needed, 7950x (no 3D) is better and even in heavier games can come close enough to 7800x3D. but better in other applications.
So to summarize, for pure gaming 7800x3D takes the cake, games still mostly use 4-8 cores. Other cores may be just parked or used in some other way for heavy multitasking.

Reactions: Phaaze88

AngelKaner

Commendable
Jan 16, 2022
7950x3D has added x3D cache only on one module which OS, programs and games don't "know" when and how to use so it's not of much help. 7800x3d has only one module and whole cache is always available. Therefore, 7800x3D makes more sense for gaming as it's mostly some games that use it properly and is cheaper than 7950x3D.
Where 4 more cores is needed, 7950x (no 3D) is better and even in heavier games can come close enough to 7800x3D. but better in other applications.
So to summarize, for pure gaming 7800x3D takes the cake, games still mostly use 4-8 cores. Other cores may be just parked or used in some other way for heavy multitasking.
Compiling android apps with android studio is considered heavy multitask?
I have to choose between these CPUs, my main purpose is gaming, but I also code, I use the browser with multiple tabs, encrypt/decrypt files. No rendering, nor video encoding, nor similar. Which CPU should I choose?

Compiling android apps with android studio is considered heavy multitask?
I have to choose between these CPUs, my main purpose is gaming, but I also code, I use the browser with multiple tabs, encrypt/decrypt files. No rendering, nor video encoding, nor similar. Which CPU should I choose?
No gaming, no need for x3D, use price difference for one with more cores. Multitasking is when you do several programs at same time but programs may use only one or pair of cores or all of them. For browsers with multiple tabs, it's amount of RAM not cores or CPU power.

Reactions: AngelKaner

AngelKaner

Commendable
Jan 16, 2022
I
No gaming, no need for x3D, use price difference for one with more cores. Multitasking is when you do several programs at same time but programs may use only one or pair of cores or all of them. For browsers with multiple tabs, it's amount of RAM not cores or CPU power.
if I have a nvme gen5 ssd 13000MB/s connected to a lane directly to the cpu, is there any difference of performance between 7950x3d and 7800x3d?
I really can't decide which one to choose