Question 7800x3d vs 7950x3d in the future for gaming.

Barrdock

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2017
Which one is more futureproof for gaming?I know that future proofing is many times stupid.but in 2017 built a pc using i7 7700k over the 6 core 6800k a 6 core Ryzen 5 1600x or even an 8 core Ryzen 7 1700,1800x because everyone was saying that 4 cores will be enough for years.Some months later i realized that i made a huge mistake.Now it's time for a new built and i don't want to make the same mistake.I know that at this time 7800x3d seems like a very good choice for gaming but what will happen in the future?What are your suggestions?I'am willing to spend the extra money but does it worth it?

P.S:Usually i have open some Google sheets,Youtube,Spotify while playing.Its not multi tasking but yeah...

In my opinion, in general 8 threads worked for almost a decade for most games, more or less.
And judging by that trend, 16 threads still have some time to saturate fully.
24 thread would be most probably more than sufficient for the lifetime of the build, I think,unless you are playing some very cpu intensive games. So 7900x3d would be a better option rather than 7950x3d, as the extra thermals also needs to be factored in.

Barrdock

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2017
In my opinion, in general 8 threads worked for almost a decade for most games, more or less.
And judging by that trend, 16 threads still have some time to saturate fully.
24 thread would be most probably more than sufficient for the lifetime of the build, I think,unless you are playing some very cpu intensive games. So 7900x3d would be a better option rather than 7950x3d, as the extra thermals also needs to be factored in.
Even with a watercooler and big case?

Even with a watercooler and big case?
You can go for it, but here are some benchmarks for reference...
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...eview/#CPU_Power_Consumption_and_Temperatures
Note in the benchmark, Cyberpunk is one of the most demanding games currently available but not much resource used beyond 16 threads. 32 threads would be a lot of wasted resource.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Which one is more futureproof for gaming?I know that future proofing is many times stupid.but in 2017 built a pc using i7 7700k over the 6 core 6800k a 6 core Ryzen 5 1600x or even an 8 core Ryzen 7 1700,1800x because everyone was saying that 4 cores will be enough for years.Some months later i realized that i made a huge mistake.Now it's time for a new built and i don't want to make the same mistake.I know that at this time 7800x3d seems like a very good choice for gaming but what will happen in the future?What are your suggestions?I'am willing to spend the extra money but does it worth it?

P.S:Usually i have open some Google sheets,Youtube,Spotify while playing.Its not multi tasking but yeah...
Nobody can see the future needs of gaming but I would think a 7800X3D would last a long time no need for a ton of cores still. Usually it's the video card that needs upgrading.

I still haven't seen anything my 10600K can't handle so still no upgrading for me.