[SOLVED] 7900 XTX hotspot but only when using 300w+ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffy9987

Prominent
May 31, 2023
i got a XFX 7900 XTX merc310 the temps are great with a delta of 8-10 when under 300 watts the secound it goes over hotspot temp jumps to 90 and slowly climbs to 95 with fan speed ramping up to 50-60% with normal temp being around 65 but if the gpu is in less use for example 280 watts there is no such issues just wanna know if a repast might not be the answer as i find it odd that a diffrence of around 40 watts would make so much more heat

If your fan curve is set to only be at 50-60% when you are already at 95°C temps, then at least part of the problem is a poorly configured fan curve. At about 85°C you should probably be at closer to 60% fan speed and by 95°C you should probably be somewhere between 75-100% fan speed depending on how well temps react to the higher RPM cooling.

I think your fan curve is too moderate. It should probably be at least a little more aggressive. However, that aside, this card should still be under warranty. If you feel like you are getting temps that are outside specifications, even while only under normal use and not specifically while running torture/stress utilities, then I'd just contact XFX and tell them there is a problem and you need a repair or replacement depending on whether the problem is fundamental design or a problem with the thermal pad contacts.

jeffy9987

Prominent
May 31, 2023
If your fan curve is set to only be at 50-60% when you are already at 95°C temps, then at least part of the problem is a poorly configured fan curve. At about 85°C you should probably be at closer to 60% fan speed and by 95°C you should probably be somewhere between 75-100% fan speed depending on how well temps react to the higher RPM cooling.

I think your fan curve is too moderate. It should probably be at least a little more aggressive. However, that aside, this card should still be under warranty. If you feel like you are getting temps that are outside specifications, even while only under normal use and not specifically while running torture/stress utilities, then I'd just contact XFX and tell them there is a problem and you need a repair or replacement depending on whether the problem is fundamental design or a problem with the thermal pad contacts.
i should have probbly mentioned that the hotspot temps and fan speed were way lower when i originally got the card xfx says aslong as it doesnt reach 110c with stock curve they wont accept it

jeffy9987

Prominent
May 31, 2023
as if out of a comedy sketch it somehow fixed itself right after the thermal pad shipped only thing that changed was that the computer was fully shutdown so might have just been some bug

Status
Not open for further replies.