[SOLVED] 8 Core/16 Threads versus 6 Core / 12 Thread for Gaming

Jul 1, 2020
Hi all
I know we don't have any benchmarks of Zen 3 but I do have a sort of specific yet general question.
I am rebuilding my PC, my current processor is not great.
I bought a B550-f board. I am really heavily leaning towards a 3700x for performance and price.
Given the Zen 3 announcement yesterday, and seeing there is no 5700x, it got me to think a bit.

I use my computer for mainly gaming, occasional CAD work and just general usage.
Would there be an advantage for gaming at 1080p (possibly 1440p) with a 6 core 12 thread processor over an 8 core 16 thread processor? Obviously, whatever I choose I want it to be best for the longest time.
Is the 3700x just great regardless of what Zen 3 is?

Pickachu

Prominent
Apr 15, 2019
We need to wait and see the benchmarks of the new models.
Just for the information, a lot of times more cores and threads doesn't gets better results in gaming(higher cpu clocks will almost every time benefit better results in gaming).

We need to wait and see the benchmarks of the new models.
Just for the information, a lot of times more cores and threads doesn't gets better results in gaming(higher cpu clocks will almost every time benefit better results in gaming).
This. I would expect the 5600X to outperform the 3700x on average. I have a 3700x and I think I have only seen 1 game use more than 12 threads.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I had a 4930k and it was HEDT 6 core 12 threads and when I played AAA titles the total CPU usage avg was about 40 percent with my RTX card. So 6 core is honestly all you need but in the future you may need 8 cores but not anytime soon. If you had a 8 core the cpu usage would be 30 percent in a way, you get what I mean?👶🎗

If you are fine for now with your current hardware and don't need something this minute, I'd advise waiting for more of the Zen 3 Ryzen lineup to show up and get something that fit with more of what you originally wanted or better. Plus this would also allow you to see if any quirks or issues crop up.

Otherwise if you need something now, the 3700X is a fine processor.

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Hi all
I know we don't have any benchmarks of Zen 3 but I do have a sort of specific yet general question.
I am rebuilding my PC, my current processor is not great.
I bought a B550-f board. I am really heavily leaning towards a 3700x for performance and price.
Given the Zen 3 announcement yesterday, and seeing there is no 5700x, it got me to think a bit.

I use my computer for mainly gaming, occasional CAD work and just general usage.
Would there be an advantage for gaming at 1080p (possibly 1440p) with a 6 core 12 thread processor over an 8 core 16 thread processor? Obviously, whatever I choose I want it to be best for the longest time.
Is the 3700x just great regardless of what Zen 3 is?
in 1080p gaming no big different as such
But in 2K even 4K play big different (note : combined with high end gpu)

InvalidError

Titan
Most gaming and interactive productivity software favors fewer faster cores. If gaming at high frame rates is the primary focus, then the 5600X will be substantially better - drastically so in some cases for games that take a heavy hit from the 3100/3600-3950X's multi-CCX layout.