8 gigs of ram too much for win7

rugman1969

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I am putting together a new build, and am installing win7 64 bit. Is 8 gigs too much? Or should I only need 4 gigs and use the money elsewhere? I keep hearing conflicting sides, and its driving me crazy. Thanks

Solution
You only need more than 4GB for any system build if you are doing heavy HD video rendering / editing, CAD or CS4 type of applications. In a gaming build, there is no difference in performance after 3GB (meaning on benefit). The money saved can make a big difference in your build. (example--- Going from a 5770 to 5850 fo example).

tecmo34

Administrator
You only need more than 4GB for any system build if you are doing heavy HD video rendering / editing, CAD or CS4 type of applications. In a gaming build, there is no difference in performance after 3GB (meaning on benefit). The money saved can make a big difference in your build. (example--- Going from a 5770 to 5850 fo example).

Solution

Open Performance monitor, Resource monitor, or use a 3rd party program to track memory usage

LOAD UP your rig, running however many programs of whatever kind you use. Then open a few more to represent max load.

Check memory usage. Is it maxxed? Or do you have a reasonable buffer left over? From there, your answer should be obvious.