Question 8085 SBCs - Eprom Function

Jul 17, 2022
in a single board computer built around a 8085 processor, like in the old arcade/pinball games - what is the “role” of the EPROMs - am i correct, that they contain the code that the microprocessor runs..? i am most wondering if they are only active at turn-on, sending an instruction set to the microprocessor just once...? -or- are they like the RAM constantly active and always working with the processor..?? - in the 1984 pinball i am looking at, the 8085 is tied to (3) 8155 RAM ICs that are setup for both inputs and outputs - during operation they control the game and receive feedback from the game’s features/controls - I/O stuff - i am wondering if the (2) EPROMs are only active at turn-on setting up the processor -or- do they play an on-going role as the player plays the pinball - etc…..?? - Thank you`

kanewolf

Titan
in a single board computer built around a 8085 processor, like in the old arcade/pinball games - what is the “role” of the EPROMs - am i correct, that they contain the code that the microprocessor runs..? i am most wondering if they are only active at turn-on, sending an instruction set to the microprocessor just once...? -or- are they like the RAM constantly active and always working with the processor..?? - in the 1984 pinball i am looking at, the 8085 is tied to (3) 8155 RAM ICs that are setup for both inputs and outputs - during operation they control the game and receive feedback from the game’s features/controls - I/O stuff - i am wondering if the (2) EPROMs are only active at turn-on setting up the processor -or- do they play an on-going role as the player plays the pinball - etc…..?? - Thank you`
The only software that CPU has is in those EPROMs. The code might be copied to RAM at boot or there might not be enough room in RAM so part of the code is copied. But with a pinball machine, I would think that all the code is copied to RAM at boot. I would think that the CPU is mostly for score keeping and things like extra plays.

Reactions: dannyleach
Jul 17, 2022
Thank you - this pinball is from the company Sirmo - "New Orleans" - a 1984 bingo-type pinball out of Belgium - No one has ever documented these, so I am trying - i run a website for the bingos - i kind of know very very little about this stuff, so just trying to learn - i am doing a page for each board - "theory " and am currently on the CPU - if you are ever bored, please read through the page - I would love your comments/thoughts please - https://danny.cdyn.com/CPU Board - PCB 28.htm - Thanks again - Danny - bingopinballs(at)yahoo(dot com)