icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I am starting to look at another hard drive to add to my system since by 40GB 5400rmp drive is getting a bit full and slow.

I am looking at buying an 80GB hard drive and the prices don't really matter because all the drives from major manufactures in my area have almost the exact same price tag.

I am looking at either the Seagate, Maxtor, or WD drives. I am only looking at the 2MB buffer unless someone can convince me that the 8MB buffer is really worth the extra money.

So which of these three manufacturers produces the best 80GB, 7200rpm, 2MB buffer, ATA drive?

I am currently looking at the Seagate because it is such a quite drive and I have heard they are quite good.

I want to hear personal experience with any of these drives if possible.

Thanks

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a descision for myself.</b>

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I'm using a pair of Maxtor D740X 80GB hard drives. They run pretty fast in RAID 0 setup, but are quite noisy and are very warm to touch. Nevertheless, I would definitely get the 8MB cache WD hard drives if they were available at the time when I bought the Maxtor's. The bigger cache size does make a noticeable difference in disk performance.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I'd go with a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9- these things are ridiculously quite and perform really, really well. 8MB cache version avaible. 8MB cache will help when u're dealing with a bunch of smaller files and increases ur burst rate.

Hilbert space is a big place.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Next we're going to find out u have a 1.2Ghz T-Bird w/ 1GB PC2100, 1 module Kingston, 1 module Apacer, FIC AD11 mobo w/ AMG761 Chipset, 40x 8MB cache samsung burner, 52x sony reader, and a 120GB second hdd complementary to ur raid array. Then we find I'm schizoprenic. hehe. I got the same raid setup, and thought it was weird.

Hilbert space is a big place.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, but as far as I can tell only in SATA for 80GB with 8MB cache. If you want IDE you have to go up to 120GB to get the 8MB cache on a Seagate. Weird, no?

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
In that case would it be worth my time to get a SATA drive and then run it on ATA until I get a mobo with SATA?

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a descision for myself.</b>