SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
My Dell XPS Gen 5 just came in

Pentium 4 840 Extreme Edition with hyperthreading technology, 6.4 GHz combined, 2GB of 667 MHz RAM, 64 bit, FOUR cpu's, this is ultimate computing power. Its incredibly fast.. man, its faster than that.. its a spaceship, lightspeed ! Runs Q3 fluid as can be (although I only get 60 FPS in FRAPS ?), and looks fantastic on the 26" wide screen tv/lcd (although it looks a bit stretched). The included Logitech Z5500 5.1 speakers also provide so much power, I can't even hear the computer fans over it! Even my neighbours 2 blocks away think it sounds just great !

I'm off fragging !

---------------------------------------------------
I am severly limited in what my mind can perceive.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Nice man althought its too bad u got a dell. I got the z5500's as well and they pound like a mother. Dont forget to break them in for a week before u abuse the [-peep-] outta them.

The know-most-of-it-all formally known as BOBSHACK

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Nice system. Keep me posted.

Just a friendly little warning. You can get ready for alot of negative comments. Im one of the very few here that runs an Intel rig/s. Dont let them get you down.

Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> make that <font color=red>DDR2 855 VALIDATED!<font color=red>Owned!
TT 680W PSU

No, you don't have '6.4 GHz combined'... nor do you have '4 CPUs'. You have a single *3.2GHz* dual-core processor with hyper-threading enabled. You've been reading too much marketing-speak.

Mozz, I have nothing against Intel-based systems, as I actually own one myself. However, I do have a problem with Intel's current offerings. When stacked up to A64... there isn't much comparison. It's also misinformation such as quoted above that get people spending more money than they really need to spend.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

*Edit... forgot to put speed grade in.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im not happy with Intel right now myself. I dont mind all of the pro AMD that goes on here, if I wasnt as invested as I am right now I probably would have made the switch by now. I dont see how Intel will be able to keep on going the direction that they are going in. I was in the ORB last night and read through this long post where this guy went on and on about this system that he had placed the order for and was waiting on the parts. He had managed to spend right at $10000.00 Thats 10K for this system. I think he had dropped around 3k on a plasma but he somehow still managed to throw that much money into a system that
he called "The fastest Ever" Its a 3.73 Extreme. I feel sorry for the guy. He thinks that hes going to have the computer of the decade. It took me over an hour to read through that thread but it just amazed me that someone could be that gullable. Maybe thats not the right word, I dont know. Im with you on the misinformation issue. Im on a rant and have been for over a week now about this subject. This industry is saturated with lies, and deceit. I really dont know what to beleive anymore, here lately ive caught myself reading 5 to 10 reviews on one subject but the more I read the less I really know and the more confused I get.

I just thought someone should let this guy know that hes probably in for a rough ride with this crew :lol:

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> make that <font color=red>DDR2 855 VALIDATED!<font color=red>Owned!
TT 680W PSU

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Even if the rig was as great as he says 10K is just too much.
It's like that guy that starfishy is building a system for he's got all that money but I seriously doubt that he'll be a power user that takes advantage of that system.
I would rather buy something nice for my kids, and just get a decent system for me, because I know than in a year It's going to be seriously depreciated.

Nothing is as easy as it looks

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I know, its just stupid. Sad, but stupid.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU

SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
No, you don't have '6.4 GHz combined'...

How much is 2x 3.2 GHz then ?

nor do you have '4 CPUs'.

I run software, software sees and uses 4 CPU's. Anyway, it is 2 real cpu's (I could cut them apart if I wanted to) and 4 virtual CPU's. that is enough for me. Don't wine because you have just one.

SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
Even if the rig was as great as he says 10K is just too much.
it wasn't even near 10k if I had paid for it in the first place. Even so, I don't care, compared to what I spend on cars and women, this is pocket change.

SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
I know, its just stupid. Sad, but stupid.

I'm sure you will also find it stupid I ordered a Mercedes CLK coupe when 1/5th of the money buys me some Japanese junk car that "works just as well" or better cause it has lower milage, requires less parking space or something. ROFL! You call it stupid, fine, just buy your second hand Honda Civic, and enjoy it !

SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
2x3.2Ghz=dual-cored 3.2Ghz

I know what it is. I hear the same [-peep-] in bowerboating. My little brother has one, Yeah he doesn't have a 2200HP engine, he got only 2x1100 HPs. I don't care a F*, it does over 115MPH anyway. Try that with a single 1100HP engine.

Guess what, its only the guys with slow poke boats that will tell that sort of sh|t. The ones that have a fast twin know what it is like.

SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
Too bad money can't buy brains!

Indeed too bad, otherwise I'd buy you one.
The opposite however, is usually true, brains do get you money.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
If you read the thread carefully you'll notice that mozzartusm and me weren't even talking about you, and then you started showing off your money. We're not interested to know that you have more money than Bill Gates.
If you want to show off post in the OTHER forum and ask for Winding!

SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
Mine is not for sale, but I'll gladly buy Wusy's brain for you, so you'd have a dual core brain.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
hmmmmmmm Southpark you say
Maybe I'll have to start thinking about buying it.
What's the current bid?
Or do you have a buy it now price?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You may want to go back and read the comments again. I was on your side but somehow you failed to see this. The "stupid" comment was not about you and if you go back and read all of what I said you will see that I was talking about someone in a different forum. In fact it had nothing to do with you.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Your really looking like a complete idiot and youve done it to yourself. You better go into "Damage Control" mode and read the damn comments again.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
wusy if I OC your brain what do you think I can get out of it on air?
Wait a minute, youve got it backwards. What you should be asking is how much air you can get out of it :tongue: It=Wusy head :lol:

His head is full of air!

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
This may be the last time that I try to reach out to a newbie!

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
It had to be done

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, you don't have 6.4GHz combined. I remember when people used to buy CPU/Mobo combos of 2 333MHz Celerons and a BP6 or whatever the dual Celeron board was called...garunteed to overclock to 500MHz (100MHz bus). Venders claimed "1000MHz" but real-world performance placed them barely ahead of 500MHz single-CPU systems.

We've all seen the numbers for true dually systems, they don't look that great, with most applications running around the same speed as single core systems, and some getting a 50% performance boost due to multi-threading.

Now if multi-threaded applications give you a 50% performance boost in the applications YOU want, by all means, 2x3.2GHz=4.8GHz combined performance. And that's using your math with real-world data.

I have HT as well, but I don't claim 2x the processing. My single core P4 with HT performs 2 instances of video encoding in just a bit less than double the time it takes to run 1 instance. Of course your dual-core processor WOULD decrease the time substantially compared to a single core, I'd say up to 40% faster.

Again, I'm using nothing but facts gathered from reading actual comparisons of single to dual CPU systems. It doesn't look like you're interested in facts, so rant on!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>