[SOLVED] 8700k OC to 4.7ghz BSOD, not stable at 1.32v?

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Messed around with BIOS settings to get 8700k stable at 4.7 on all cores, since thats the turbo boost anyway and I'm getting really high temps with everything on stock settings during Prime95 testing..

I keep getting a BSOD 15 minutes into Prime95. Am I doing this right with these OC settings on an Asus Z370-A?

Load Line Calibration: Level 2

AVX offset: 3

CPU Cache Ratio: 42

Manual voltage: 1.32v

Long duration/short duration package power is set to max.

VCore is showing as 1.28v in HwInfo64 during stress testing which I find weird.

Temperatures are staying below 80C until BSOD under Prime95 stress test with Small FFTs and AVX disabled.

Solution
a Blue Screen would be odd, vice the test simply erroring out, etc...

Have you done these stress tests at perhaps lower RAM speeds than whatever XMP profile you have currently selected?

Rather than setting things in the BIOS, I'd set your BIOS to defaults, then select a normal RAM speed, (be it 2133 MHz if necessary, and/or test with one RAM stick), make sure MCE is disabled, and first run your testing at Intel default clock speeds. (Which would likely be 4400 MHz all-core under load.)

You could then install XTU and make all the needed changes, or, see how simply enabling MCE (no other changes in BIOS) affects your temps, as that alone would aim for a 4700 MHz all-core turbo...

With XTU, you can then tweak max all-core clocks...

Have you done these stress tests at perhaps lower RAM speeds than whatever XMP profile you have currently selected?

Rather than setting things in the BIOS, I'd set your BIOS to defaults, then select a normal RAM speed, (be it 2133 MHz if necessary, and/or test with one RAM stick), make sure MCE is disabled, and first run your testing at Intel default clock speeds. (Which would likely be 4400 MHz all-core under load.)

You could then install XTU and make all the needed changes, or, see how simply enabling MCE (no other changes in BIOS) affects your temps, as that alone would aim for a 4700 MHz all-core turbo...

With XTU, you can then tweak max all-core clocks up/down in 100 MHz increments if desired, apply negative core voltage offset, apply negative offset in clockspeed for AVX workloads, etc. (In the event of any crash or failure to shutdown, XTU would default all XTU settings back to stock.)

You also did not actually mention what cooling solution is being used...the 8700K is at least the '7700K x 1.5' in heat production, so a smallish radiator or smallish single stack heatsink is likely not sufficient even for stock ops....

Solution

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016

With XTU, you can then tweak max all-core clocks up/down in 100 MHz increments if desired, apply negative core voltage offset, apply negative offset in clockspeed for AVX workloads, etc. (In the event of any crash or failure to shutdown, XTU would default all XTU settings back to stock.)

You also did not actually mention what cooling solution is being used...the 8700K is at least the '7700K x 1.5' in heat production, so a smallish radiator or smallish single stack heatsink is likely not sufficient even for stock ops....

3 intake fans on the bottom 120mm each, 4 exhaust fans 120mm each, and an AIO cooling the CPU. everything default im getting high temps 90-95c.

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
But apparently the set voltage is not stable, be it board or CPU at fault. So try it without and then when it runs stable, set an offset or adjust fixed voltage until it is stable.

I played around with the voltage and got it stable at 1.32v with an LLC level of 3. Temps are not going above 81C in Prime95 Small FFTs testing, no errors after 30 minutes of testing.