8800 GT High Temeprature !

J U N I P E R

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Hi everybody!

I have a XFX 8800 GT Alpha Dog Edition.
it is not overclocked, the temp. arrives to 101 C!
I removed dust but nothing happened! The vga is still hot. i put an extra fan toward the vga default fan but it was still hot
what should I do?

Thanks in advance. :)

J U N I P E R

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

in Gaming

I Installed Rivatuner. Here is The Screenshot of it:
I marked the times of the begining and the end of Playing "Crysis".( Only for 3 Minutes! )
The fan speed monitored as 0 RPM!!! while I saw the VGA fan is working!
Would you please take a look at this screenshot and say what is abnormal here?

Untitled-1.png

He :)
that never has high noise!
Always works normal even in 100 C.

Me too :)

please take a look at the screenshot and explain me the abnormals!
Thank you!

That looks very strange: No change of fan speed and no change in the clock speeds from idle to load either.
Try forcing a higher fan speed through Rivatuner or Ntune and use GPUZ to monitor instead of Rivatuner.

J U N I P E R

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

as you sae the fan speed is 0 RPM while it is working! why?
is clock speed variable in different Situations?

GPUZ records the GPU temp 52.5C while Riva tuner reports Core Temp 61 C.is GPU temp and core temp the same?

Thanks!

While I chaned the fan duty cycle from 29 to 80 and 100, nothing happened!
in both cases the temp had no change! why?
thanks!

---
:)

pauldh

Illustrious

Does your XFX GPU fan use 2-wires or 4-wires. XFX released 8800GS cards with a 2-wire fan header where the fan was stuck at 100%. For at least a brief time they did this for the 8800GT also.

Look at these pics. Which looks more like your card. Look at the 2-wire vs 4-wire fan header on the two cards.

J U N I P E R

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Thanks Pauldh!

My VGA fan has 2 wires and really looks like it:

8800fan.jpg

so the rotation speed of the fan cannot be changed during gaming and etc. ?
is there any virus to raise the heat of devices?

pauldh

Illustrious
^ +1, you'll be stuck at 100% all the time, no matter what you change it to in software.

Still brings us back to the temps you are seeing though. I know that isn't the most effective cooler as I used a voltage limiter (on the one in the pic) to quiet the fan down and temps were quite a bit higher than on a reference 8800GT cooler at same RPM. But I'd still wouldn't think the CPU core would get that hot considering the 100% fan. Somethings off.

Are your room temps very high? Internal Case temps high? Does the GPU temp go way down if you game with the case open? I wonder if a sensor is off (but I won't ask you to touch a 102C card for a finger check. Could also be the heatsink on the card isn't seated well.

Honestly, IMO if you registered the card and have a lifetime warranty through XFX, then I would not worry too much about it (and also wouldn't pull the heatsink off.)

J U N I P E R

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
thanks again!

So I'm wasting time for changing fan cycle duty! :)
The Side door of case is always open. The Main board and cpu are hot too :(
The Room temp is normal, between 25 - 27 C i think.
CPU temp is now 53C, main board is 40C, and The GPU core 64C, while i'm just browsing the web!
today my brother recorded 106C of GPU core temp while playing sims3!(i no longer let him play)
i think reapplying thermal paste for cpu will lower the temp and using more fans for main board will solve its problem(already just 1 fan for main board)
but what should i do with gpu?! :(
i really dont now what to do:(

I'm Persian and not so good in english so sorry if i repeat some questions :)

can i remove the cover of VGA heatsink?(witch there is an image of a dog on it)
I tried to open the screws by a screwdriver but i couldn't open them!(to removing the dusts)

thanks every body:)

I would take off the CPU cooler and put it back using new thermal grease, Arctic Silver 5 is good.
The old thermal grease should be removed fully before the new material is applied. There are special cleaner liquids for this but I use a pure industrial alcohol called Iospropyl Alcohol or IPA for short.

Yes, those screws can be tight! You MUST use a good quality screwdriver that is a good fit or you will damage the screwheads and, if the driver slips, you could wreck the card or injure yourself.
I suggest you place the card on a hard, smooth floor (not on a carpet) with a newspaper under it so you can hold the card with one hand while using the screwdriver with the other.
If you choose to remove the cooler to put new thermal grease on it you should remove the old thermal grease as you did with the CPU before applying the new material and do not throw away or damage the thermal pads (the white squares), they help to cooler cool the memory chips.

J U N I P E R

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Good Information Coozie7!
I will try to open the screws according to your help!
also good information about cpu and gpu!
Thanks a lot! :)

Milos-stancene

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

LOVE at 1 place

J U N I P E R

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I Opened all the Screws of top of the VGA but one screw that was damaged and wont open :(
anyway I saw The inside of that and there was nothing but the heat sink! there was no dust over there and was nearly clean. I thought the GPU is reachable from there!:)
can I reapply The Thermal paste for GPU?
Can it change The Temp?
Thanks

8800fan.png

Turn the card over and see it there is a nut on the other end of the screw, if so it may be possible to turn that instead.
Be very careful if you try to turn the nut, that side of the PCB is very, very easy to damage.

dextr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
sigh.... i had the same problem with my point of view 8800gt too..its really a bad card.. consumes way too much power(around 105w)as compared to the performance it delivers,even considering the standards when it was launched.It runs a bit too hot as well.When I bought it,it used to run at an idle temp of 55c.Then gradually it increased to 61-63C within a few months.I invested on a good cabinet with 2 120mm fans,but it didn't help.U cant cool down something that generates so much heat that u can cook some omlettes over it.Then problems started.My comp monitor started to go blank often under heavy load on gpu.Sometimes it used to restart.I couldn't trace the problem to the card at first,but it was rather late when I eventually found out that due to the high temperature my gf card fan started to malfunction.Something happened and the motor of the fan went out of order.
I didn't bother repairing it as I was simply done with Point of View and done with defective products of nVidia.Went to the market,bought an ATI HD4870, and never had any graphics hardware related problem ever since.

--Roy. ,Kolkata,India.

aim001

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
My card has been at 101c, thats was my 260 gtx black edition stock OC. I played crysis at full with tweaks, and i minimized the game and cpuz shows max temp 101c, but the fan was on 40% :p. But when im on 100% it doesnt go higher than 65c on full load. I know a friend of mine who had problem with getting hot GPU, he changed the psu and got lower temp, idk how. I recommend u to take ur whole pc to a computer shop and ask them to check it. Or u can try another psu

aim001

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

Mate, ATI cards has higher temps than nvidia, but they also have higher max temp. And you can't test one Nvidia product and say Nvidia sucks, because nvidia is cheaper and most of their cards goes faster than ATI