890FX bunch

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I was looking through the 890s cause I am going to buy one here in the future. I have only begun to look through them and so far from what I read the crosshair 4 looks better than the gd70. But there is still the GA-890FXA-UD7 and the Crosshair 4 extreme, and from what I have heard, people are holding out for them.

I planned on the GD70 but after a few articles and forums I think I am also going to wait for the GA-890FXA-UD7.
I wanted to hear what others had to say about it, what ever one I get it, I want to get a 1090 with it.

Lutfij

Titan
+1 ^^^ but i prefer you get OCZ, most of the forums i checked out with the UD5 had a corsair dominator setup rather than a crusial setup. I found that OCZ's are really stable in OC'ing... thou i think you should scour the net for more info

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
If I get the Tracers I can always return them if they don't work. I have been told to stick with Gskill and Crucial, and to only get the Corsairs if I the extra cash. I really want to get 4gbs of good solid memory for the UD5.

I can look more into memory, and see what got for memory for there UD5

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

Let me know how it goes I definitely want to know. I added the Ultimate 64 bit, and right now the Dominators and the Tracers are the same price. So I will probably get the Tracers unless there not in stock.

I really want to get a SSD, so if I have an extra 200$ i will get one. But since I added the ultimate and thinking of getting the 1tb sata 3 I am going to need about 2000 for everything that I want.

I will do, if a friend of mine arrives to my country with the mobo and RAM u can know the results this weekend, but if isn't, maybe u have to wait a long time (3 weeks maybe) until my mobo and RAM arrives to my country.

P.D. I'm from Colombia, a long distance from the US.

+1 to Lutfij

For price/storage the SSD is a very expensive option. I u want a very good performance and a good capacity, U can go with a Spinpoint F3 1TB, Seagate 7200.12 1TB or WD Velociraptor 600GB (this's SATA III) all those are in the top list of the HD performance.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
well it looks like the UD7 is 245ish, I would definitely get the UD5 now. I am glad to see that most are out now.
I looked at HD's and the satas 3 640gb is only 80$, so I am just going to get it since I would spend minimum 50
on a sata 2. I also have read about the memory thing, I haven't found any info I am looking for, I shouldn't have a problem with the UD5 w/crucial tracer blue.

So you really think that I shouldn't get windows 7 home? Well the Pro is 40+ and the Ult. 75+ compared to Home, well I guess if I go for the pro I might as well go ultimate.

I did think about the case thing and if I am going to spend 30-40 in fans I could just get the HAF-32 since its is stock with fans. I didn't really like the look of it but with some small adjustments and spray paint I think I could manage.
I wanted a blue case but red will work cause I can always buy the blue 200mm later.

Yeah, with the price of the UD7 the UD5 is the best option for now. Even, u don't need the UD7 at least that u have enough money to do a 4-Way Crossfire.

For the OS, definitely u should go with 7 Pro or 7 Ultimate BOTH x64 for take advantage of your 4GB or more. I read some threads about problems with 7 Home and 4GB or more in RAM.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Definitely, if I am going to spend 40+ getting pro, I might as well spend another 30 getting Ultimate.
I looked at the HAF 932 and its not that bad, I just liked the look of the CM 692 which is now 89$.
So it will be up for grabs when I buy, what I really want is the HAF X, but I think its going to be minimum 200$.

I think everything is pretty much set, I will still be looking through things but I pretty much have a good idea of what I will be getting. Since price isn't offical yet, it will determine what I end up getting.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

Yeah from what I gathered when I looked at cases, the HAF932 beats any stock case in a cooling battle. Obviously it would beat the Cm692 Ad. but thats because there is only 2 out of the 11 fans. So actually the HAf932 is cheaper than it, because once I filled up all the fans I pass 140$.
The only things the haf doesn't have is the black inside, the vga bracket, and all the fan slots. But it does have a ton of things that the CM doesn't.
I might just hold out for the HAF-X cause from what I have seen and read it is going to be a mix between the Cm 692/HAF 932 amd edition.

Yeah 64 bit is the way to go. At first I was going to just 2gb's but then i read that 4 gb's is lowest I should go. I really want 8gbs but it depends on how much I got to spend.

Lutfij

Titan
Dont worry about the innards adn the mobo tray. I usually mod my pals cases - with some paint jobs ;) spray the tray wih some matte black paint - voila !

the rams - yeah but dont sweat - ram can be added later on - provided you match the latencies/timmings

windows7 x64 ultimate is awesome! i used it and i'm still finding new things to do with it...for a media/gaming platform