Question 8gb Ram troubles- could use some help

ezconnor

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
Hey so I have a pretty decent computer build for gaming, however I only have 8gb of ram which tends to cause lag spikes when I have multiple windows open of course. I was wondering if there were any concrete steps I could take to improve my performance besides buying more ram? Thanks.

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
Hey so I have a pretty decent computer build for gaming, however I only have 8gb of ram which tends to cause lag spikes when I have multiple windows open of course. I was wondering if there were any concrete steps I could take to improve my performance besides buying more ram? Thanks.
I can think of one easy solution, don't play games with a ton of applications open. Keep only the necessary ones open and close the ones that you don't need open while gaming. 8Gb RAM should be plenty for some PC games.

qZEQwaB.png

MlSZgt9.png

I included the required and recommended specifications for what seem to be the most popular games among most age groups. You can find out which games you can run just by googling "random game pc requirements". You can check your memory usage by opening a task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and then opening the "Performance" tab. That way you can figure out which applications you can keep open while gaming. Hope this is helpful.

ezconnor

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
I can think of one easy solution, don't play games with a ton of applications open. Keep only the necessary ones open and close the ones that you don't need open while gaming. 8Gb RAM should be plenty for some PC games.

qZEQwaB.png

MlSZgt9.png

I included the required and recommended specifications for what seem to be the most popular games among most age groups. You can find out which games you can run just by googling "random game pc requirements". You can check your memory usage by opening a task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and then opening the "Performance" tab. That way you can figure out which applications you can keep open while gaming. Hope this is helpful.
Haha I guess that’s the obvious solution. What I was referring to though was playing games like Battlefield V or games that recommend 16gb. Is there any settings to help that? Keep in mind I probably have discord open as well.

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
Haha I guess that’s the obvious solution. What I was referring to though was playing games like Battlefield V or games that recommend 16gb. Is there any settings to help that? Keep in mind I probably have discord open as well.
For me, discord only uses between 230 and 240Mb of memory, keeping in mind that isn't when I'm in a voice channel.

I googled BF5 requirements, and the game only requires 8GB RAM, but yes they do recommend 16GB. At the end of the day, it is what it is. I don't play BF5 so I wouldn't have a clue what the graphics settings look like, but I'm assuming there are some sort of options for particles or something. I would try decreasing the quality of effects/particles or whatever that may look like in the settings menu. High graphics isn't tough on just the GPU, it significantly affects the RAM usage as well. Hope this is helpful.