[SOLVED] 9600m gt windows 10 display driver crashing

Apr 8, 2018
Hello! I have a HP Pavilion DV7 1020ea and ever since Windows 10 has gone to a blank screen when playing videos. I’ve tried for years to solve this but now I’m forced to use this laptop again I have to solve it.
Every nvidia driver I’ve tried has caused either immediate black screen or after a minute or so when I play a video on YouTube, Netflix, twitch, vlc player etc. Sound continues and after a while it all crashes. It’s very similar to a display driver updating/crashing and recovering. Without the recovering.
I’ve tried drivers from 2008 through to the latest today and all have the same issue. I haven’t tried every driver as there are so many.
Installing the original 2008 HP “drivers” and there is no crashing but the CPU (p8400) is 100% when watching a video and GPU 10% and can barely do 720p. HWmonitor states core and memory usage only. Msi afterburner won’t recognise a GPU. Unless I install a new driver but then it crashes again. Any help would be most appreciated!

Solution
Well - this can be either software issue (windows 10 drivers) or hardware issue (gt 9600m itself).
By testing with windows 7 you could determine, which of those issues you have.

If same crashes happen in windows 7 also, then most likely your gpu is damaged.
Apr 8, 2018

I’ve considered it but I can’t remember if I used 7 on that laptop as it came with vista. Also I don’t know if licensing would be an issue if I install 7. I’d prefer to find a windows 10 fix if possible first. If not I’ll try that

Well - this can be either software issue (windows 10 drivers) or hardware issue (gt 9600m itself).
By testing with windows 7 you could determine, which of those issues you have.

If same crashes happen in windows 7 also, then most likely your gpu is damaged.

Solution