[SOLVED] 9700k oc blue screening when using avx2

Blazedsrr

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
I overclocked my 9700k to 4.8ghz with the CPU voltage set to 1.335 volts and I tried to set it to 4.9ghz to see if it would run and it seemed to run fine with temps no hotter than 84 degrees but it immediately crashed when I tried to run a test with avx2 enabled. After this I reset the OC back to 4.8ghz and it is now crashing with avx2 enabled when I don't believe it was before, I'm using the Intel extreme tuning untility to do this btw. Can someone tell me how to fix or what applications use avx2??

Solution
If your cpu runs fine at 4.9Ghz with the offset if it gets a AVX instruction it will downclock the cpu to 4.7Ghz. With AVX512 it would go down to 4.6 or 4.5GHz. AVX is a lot harder on the cpu which is why it crashes, more then likely there is not enough voltage for the cpu to do what it needs to do and fails.

My 8700k runs at 5.1Ghz and stays cool enough and stable enough that i dont use a AVX offset. but to get to 5.2GHz it needs so much more voltage its not worth it.
If your cpu runs fine at 4.9Ghz with the offset if it gets a AVX instruction it will downclock the cpu to 4.7Ghz. With AVX512 it would go down to 4.6 or 4.5GHz. AVX is a lot harder on the cpu which is why it crashes, more then likely there is not enough voltage for the cpu to do what it needs to do and fails.

My 8700k runs at 5.1Ghz and stays cool enough and stable enough that i dont use a AVX offset. but to get to 5.2GHz it needs so much more voltage its not worth it.

Solution