[SOLVED] 970EVO plus crashing my system, but only when OCed???

Andy T Cha

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
So I recently bought a used z390 Extreme4 motherboard and an i5 9600K. Decided it was time to buy an M2 drive, so I bought the 970 evo plus 1 tb.

Since then, I have system crashes. More specifically, the system will just go to a black screen and restart on heavy activity on the 970. So if I copy a small file, no problem. But if I write a bigger file (say 500MB) or extract a file of this size on it, I get the black screen reboot crash. No BSOD, so no error code or anything.

I've come to learn after resetting the motherboards to UEFI defaults that this only occurs with ANY OC I apply. Even just a simple 4.7 OC, which will pass in Prime95, will crash if I perform a copy or extraction on the NVME drive. I can still do those actions on my 6tb drive with the OC, its just the 970 that's causing this mess. It sucks because I had the opportunity to buy a 9600 with a non overclockable motherboard but paid extra for that feature, only to now be stuck on stock settings.

Any ideas?

Solution
Any ideas?

Stop trying to overclock it? It may not be the motherboard that is the problem, it may be the drive. Manufacturers of components only guarantee they will work under what they define as normal operating conditions, so product quality can vary wildly from one piece to the next. As long as they perform to the minimum standard, they will sell them as being compliant with that standard. I don't think M2 drives are like CPU's or GPU's where they are binning parts that perform higher than the rest so they can charge overclockers a premium price for them.

Still, it is possible that there is a problem with the motherboard, and that is one of the pitfalls of buying used parts. You are often left with no recourse when things...

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Any ideas?

Stop trying to overclock it? It may not be the motherboard that is the problem, it may be the drive. Manufacturers of components only guarantee they will work under what they define as normal operating conditions, so product quality can vary wildly from one piece to the next. As long as they perform to the minimum standard, they will sell them as being compliant with that standard. I don't think M2 drives are like CPU's or GPU's where they are binning parts that perform higher than the rest so they can charge overclockers a premium price for them.

Still, it is possible that there is a problem with the motherboard, and that is one of the pitfalls of buying used parts. You are often left with no recourse when things go wrong.

Edit: I just went to the Samsung website and they advertise "up to" speeds for reads and writes. That means that the drive you get MIGHT reach those speeds, if you win the lottery and get a golden part, but it's not a guarantee that every drive they sell will. It's how companies cover themselves in case someone gets the idea into their heads of suing them because the drive they bought didn't reach the maximum advertised speed.

Last edited:
Solution

Andy T Cha

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
So I decided to try the other m2 slot on the board. Did a modest OC, unzipped a big file and voila. Everything works. Kind of odd, and I can't use the Mono heatsink on that slot, but it'll do.