Question 980Ti performing worse than 960

Simonsen

Reputable
Jul 21, 2016
Hello

About 8 months ago I bought a used 980Ti off of a norwegian-like Craigslist. I swapped out my 960 for the 980Ti. Computer recognizes it as a 980Ti but for some reason im getting worse performance than i used to get with my 960?

I used to get about 250+ fps in csgo but now im getting around 100 at 1080p all low settings.
Overwatch is the same, i used to get a constant 150+fps at 1080p all low settings yet now i get about 90 in a team fight with the exact same settings.

I've used DDU to uninstall the previous drivers and im on the newest 980Ti driver gotten from the Nvidia website.

Rest of my specs are an i5 6500, 16GB DDR4

Surely something must be very wrong? Bottle neck perhaps?

I would love to receive some suggestions as of what i should do. Ive already sold my old 960 so i cant trouble shoot with it unfortunately

Simonsen

Reputable
Jul 21, 2016
Sorry I went to work but I ran the UserBenchmark program and this is what I got

UserBenchmarks: Game 90%, Desk 67%, Work 45%
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 - 74.8%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 980 Ti - 102.2%
SSD: Samsung PM810 2.5" 7mm 128GB - 48.8%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB - 66.7%
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 3200 C18 2x8GB - 68.4%
MBD: Asus B150M-A

Ram is being bottlenecked by my motherboard, it cant utilize its full 3200 speed unfortunately but im going to upgrade my mobo soon

My psu is a VS550 from Corsair. I now know its pretty iffy and its one of the worser ones you can get.

GPU at around 65C and CPU at around 40

I don't know if id try a 980ti with a vs550. Im sure your aware, but their low end capacitors like to randomly fail in spectacular and smokey fashon. Your 980ti seems to be performing as it should, if not better. Sometimes this can be solved with a game or os reinstall. What os are you using? A 980ti may he limited by your i5 at 1080p depending on title, but since cs go cares mostly about cpu, you should see an improvement, maybe not much. Do you notice this in other games?

Simonsen

Reputable
Jul 21, 2016
My OS is Windows10 Home

A friend of mine has an older i5 and is using a 1060, but somehow is getting the same (if not more) fps in PUBG than i usually get which i thought is weird because a 980Ti should be on par with a 1070

Other than that, certain games like The Witcher 3 is running at a constant 60+ fps on the highest settings, something that my 960 was not able to do at all. This makes sense though because its a pretty GPU intensive game

Ive been thinking about upgrading to an i7, aswell as changing the PSU and mobo. You reckon this will solve the issue?

I'll also re-install my OS just to make sure its not one of the damaging factors here

Thanks for replying btw

a CPU not being optimal is certainly no reason for a 980Ti to ever perform worse than a GTX960, and is an almost ridiculous, as in funny, supposition....(harsh, sorry!)

Worst case, he gets similar frame rates when CPU limited, but now at 1080P max detail/ultra settings..

If framerates drop, something else is wrong...

Inadequate power, monitor mistakenly connected to integrated video out after GPU swap (don't laugh, I did it myself once!), botched drivers or Windows update, etc..

Simonsen

Reputable
Jul 21, 2016
a CPU not being optimal is certainly no reason for a 980Ti to ever perform worse than a GTX960, and is an almost ridiculous, as in funny, supposition....(harsh, sorry!)

Worst case, he gets similar frame rates when CPU limited, but now at 1080P max detail/ultra settings..

If framerates drop, something else is wrong...

Inadequate power, monitor mistakenly connected to integrated video out after GPU swap (don't laugh, I did it myself once!), botched drivers or Windows update, etc..
You're right, it really shouldn't perform worse. I still don't understand why in certain titles i have a worser time though. I've checked all my drivers and windows update, it should all be fine. Do you think maybe it could be a faulty hard drive or my power supply? I'm starting to run out of ideas.

I'll try the GPU in another system some time today or tomorrow.

Simonsen

Reputable
Jul 21, 2016
I think it's about 3 years old at this point. Again, its a VS550 with orange lettering which according to the LTT forum is one of the worst ones. Perhaps like mdd1963 said, inadequate power?

Simonsen

Reputable
Jul 21, 2016
After formatting my computer and re-installing Windows to a new SSD nothing has improved game performance wise. Im completely out of ideas now. Do i just have to upgrade my rig?