Question 9900k Boost Clock While Gaming

09subie

Commendable
May 31, 2017
Hey Guys,

I have a built a new computer recently, 9900k, 32gb ram and 2080 TI. I currently only have XMP I enabled and multi-core disabled. So my boost clocks go up to 4700mhz on all 8 cores (which is what I wanted).

Recently I’ve been playing Modern Warfare and Destiny 2. While playing those two games I had HWMonitor up and all 8 cores were pinned at 4700mhz. I then decided to play Sekiro, DMC 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2. With these games I noticed at times not all 8 cores would be at 4700MHz. The Mhz seemed to fluctuate randomly and only during certain times would all 8 cores go back to 4700mhz. Is this normal?

I guess my question is why does Destiny 2 and Modernware keep all 8 cores at 4700mhz no matter what but other games don’t? Is it because those two games utilize all cores available and some games don’t? I just want to see if something is wrong with my computer or if this is normal.

Thanks

09subie

Commendable
May 31, 2017
Okay so this is more of a per game basis then. Thanks for clearing that up, I just wanted to make sure everything was working correctly.

I was confused at first when I saw one game pushing the CPU to have all cores at 4.7mhz consistently while another game fluctuates and doesn't tax the cpu as much.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts