A 128 GB SD Memory Card For Enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Whoa, if they can fit that much data on a SD card imagine how much NAND flash could be crammed in a 2.5in drive. 2TB, 4TB? Now time for the price drops needed to make it happen. :)

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Amazing! except most devices are rated for only 64GB SD cards.

My old HP IPAQ 112 classic can only accept up to 64GB, and none of my card readers can accept above 64GB, nor can my netbook but my laptop probably can.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]Say goodnight blue ray[/citation]

Wait that's a good point, Movies should be available on solid state storage in the future because for smaller sizes, it's cheaper than a DVD disc, faster and less likely to wear out as you use it (Or damage from scratches etc)

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]firemachine69[/nom]Someone is gonna feel mighty stupid when the internal battery dies in 10 years, and the card is worthless.[/citation]

First of all since when do SD cards have batteries in them? Second, in 10 years 128GB of space will be negligible, not that it already isn't.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]you could actually install 7 20x on such a device,provided windows allow multibooting from there.[/citation]

Would you really want to boot from it at those transfer speeds?

idlerp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Wait that's a good point, Movies should be available on solid state storage in the future because for smaller sizes, it's cheaper than a DVD disc, faster and less likely to wear out as you use it (Or damage from scratches etc)[/citation]
It costs less than a dollar to mass produce a 50Gb blu-ray, flash will never be cheaper to make than optical media. Besides 10x blu-ray drives have a much higher data transfer rate than your run of the mill SD card.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Bluray has many more capacity layers available to be played with, experimental disks out there are playing around 500 gigs, not bad for an optical disk.

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]idlerp[/nom]It costs less than a dollar to mass produce a 50Gb blu-ray, flash will never be cheaper to make than optical media. Besides 10x blu-ray drives have a much higher data transfer rate than your run of the mill SD card.[/citation]

Flash will never be cheaper per Byte than optical? Wow, not only is that a bold statement, but I don't buy it for a minute. Optical has already reached it physical limits. While blu-ray is impressive, its the end of the road for the technology.

10x faster transfer rate? Did you pull that number out of your butt? 1x Blu-ray is 4.5MB/s. A bottom of the barrel x13 SD card is 2MB/s. The fastest bluray drive is 12x at 54MB/s while the fastest SD card is x760 at 95MB/s.

Flash has a long list of advantages over optical. The only thing optical has over flash right now is price per Byte. When that changes, optical will finally be dead. For many of us, it already is. BD-R's suck.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]you could actually install 7 20x on such a device,provided windows allow multibooting from there.[/citation]

Just don't try applying any updates!

G

@joytech22

And thats why the SD card specs was revised to include SDHC and later SDXC and in fact SDXC, which this card is, will happily go into the TB zone. You'll probably need a card reader that can read SDHC (SDXC too i guess), your laptop is probably a lot newer so is compatible with the SDHC/SDXC your other stuff probably not so, sony pull off the same stuff with their myriad of iterations to the memory stick format......

f-14

Distinguished
these costs are only temporary as 32gb is only $70. bluray will officially be named dead when these hit $50 as the only people still using bluray disc will be the equivelent of apple users :D

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]idlerp[/nom]It costs less than a dollar to mass produce a 50Gb blu-ray, flash will never be cheaper to make than optical media. Besides 10x blu-ray drives have a much higher data transfer rate than your run of the mill SD card.[/citation]
another nice feature everybody loves vs. bluray is size when's the last time you threw 25-50 bluray discs in your pocket? how big is your bluray disc collection? is it in one of those shelves or rack holders that are huge and unsightly?
have you ever tried to erase a bluray disc and or change/add-in more media to it? was it as easy as copy and paste? can you put entire series of shows onto just one despite it being 10+ seasons long. can you change the format of your 720p to 1080p to 1440p or larger?
if size didn't matter and quality never got better i'd bet we'd still be stuck with the phonographs.
it wasn't all that long ago a 1gb hdd cost $500 and a blank cd-r was $10 a pop.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I've been waiting over 10 years for a decent mp3 player (or PMP) that has the capacity of at least 100GB so the capacity is certainly not beyond my needs. The price however is beyond what I'm willing to spend for it.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Once capacities close to this get cheap I have a feeling we will be buying movies on SD card instead of Blu-ray...

douglasdarden

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
That is crazy. I feel the need to go out and buy one when they get a little bit cheaper than that. $700 is a steep price tage on a SD card but for a professional photographer this is a must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.