A Challenging USB Problem...

EvilMonk3y60

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Hi, I am new here but could really use some help and this seemed like the place to go :)

I recently installed the Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2 motherboard into a PC I have built. Everything is fine apart from a couple of annoying USB issues that I simply can't seem to resolve.

PC
AMD Phenom II x2 550
2 GB DDR 2 RAM
ATI 4850

The issue is currently affecting my Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 mouse and my iPod touch. When connected to the board by USB these items constantly connect and disconnect in a very rapid way making them unusable or simply do not connect at all. I have updated the motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers and am running out of ideas of what could be causing the issue.

I have tried multiple different USB ports and all have this issue with only these items...other mice, keyboards, Wi-FI dongles and USB hard drives are all fine... I am also pretty certain this is not a power issue as the 520 W Corsair PSU I use is more than enough for the PC. I have also tried booting up with just these items to check it was not interference from another USB device, I have also disabled 'USB storage function' in the BIOS.

I hope someone has perhaps a solution to this issue as I have no idea where to go from here...if it comes to it I will have to buy a PCI USB card. I will answer any questions you throw at me as capably as possible.

Thanks.

Solution
I believe I've seen a number of issues with 'iCrap' in general - mostly iPhones. There are some devices that just will not 'get along' with the GB on-board controllers - and I'm positive it's a chip-set problem, as some chipsets are definitely 'immune' - G31 and 41, for example... My guess, so far, is that these 'errant' devices share a common USB controller/comms chip, that does something not quite 'to spec'; I have a list, and when I can afford it, intend to take a bunch of 'flakey' devices apart, to see if this is the 'common element'!

bilbat

Splendid
I believe I've seen a number of issues with 'iCrap' in general - mostly iPhones. There are some devices that just will not 'get along' with the GB on-board controllers - and I'm positive it's a chip-set problem, as some chipsets are definitely 'immune' - G31 and 41, for example... My guess, so far, is that these 'errant' devices share a common USB controller/comms chip, that does something not quite 'to spec'; I have a list, and when I can afford it, intend to take a bunch of 'flakey' devices apart, to see if this is the 'common element'!

Solution

EvilMonk3y60

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

Ok that is pretty interesting, I would agree with you as there is just no common theme and it is only affecting a tiny amount of my devices...everything else works perfectly.

In that case do people think that buying a PCI USB card will bypass the problem of an incompatible chipset?

EvilMonk3y60

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

Ok thanks A lot, I wasn't expecting any easy fix however thought it was worth a try anway, will try and pick up a cheap PCI USB card :D

EvilMonk3y60

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Just for anyone interested who may have this problem in the future I went ahead and installed a simple USB PCI card, all the things that refused to work are not working perfectly. :D

EvilMonk3y60

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

Haha yes, I meant to say is now working perfectly.

bilbat

Splendid
Aoccdrnig to rseerach at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

PS: Hwo'd yuo lkie to run tihs by yuor sepll ckehcer?

Thought up another question - what brand & model USB 'add-on' card did you wind up with?

EvilMonk3y60

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

Just this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/108594

It is cheap but gets the job done and also is small and has quite a low profile so doesn't block the cooling of my 4850 custom cooler :)

JustinAK

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
i know this was from a half a year ago but i to ran into an icrap problem concerning an external usb hard drive and an ifone. ill have to try the pci card trick... do you think a usb hub might do also?