Question A couple of questions about a new build

Aug 9, 2024
Hi, everyone.
I was thinking of building myself a new PC, it will be mostly for games in 1080p. I don't intend to play in 2k or 4k. My monitor is Asus MG248q 144hz which I run at 120hz (for reasons).

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900x
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX V2
GPU: MSI RTX 4060 Ti 16gb Gaming X
RAM: Kingston Fury Beast Black 2x32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL36
PC Case: Be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX
PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
HDD: Seagate Firecuda 4TB 7200

Here are some questions for the wise Sages of this forum:

-Is this cooler good for this CPU, I'll probably running it in eco mode 105W and I don't want a liquid cooler? So if someone uses this CPU and cooler together it would be great to share the temps he's getting when gaming and idle.

-Is the PSU enough for this build (not gonna overclock anything) or should I look for 1000W one? Also read that a lot of people had fan sounds problems with this particular PSU so is that a thing or...?

-Does the motherboards bios comes with the eco mode 105W option or do I have to update it, and is a good motherboard for this particular build?

-What noise levels should I expect, I hope it won't be like a jet taking off or something?

-Should I expect any compatibility issues with the chosen parts?

Last edited:
That's an excellent cooler......but you can get similar performance from other coolers for less money, if that is important to you. Your case accepts coolers up to 190mm tall, which is easily wide enough for any you might consider.

I doubt if you can come to any conclusion about the BIOS version on the motherboard until you have it in your hands.

Some might ask you to look for RAM with lower latency....down near CL30 rather than CL36. Minor difference. Maybe look at G. Skill.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have a need for 12 cores? 7800X3D is the superior gaming CPU. Given that a gaming load is likely to be sitting at 50-75W that cooler is more than enough. You certainly aren't going to load all the cores gaming, except for a few simulation titles (City Skylines, CIV other turn based titles)

4060Ti is not generally considered the best GPU for the money, particularly the 16GB version. For a bit more you could get the actual 16GB 7800XT which outperforms the RTX 4070 in rasterization.

I agree, CL36 isn't ideal. CL30 is pretty inexpensive.

Only hard drive for storage?

I've never had issues with the RM850x fan. That PSU is overkill for the system, the fan may not even spin up.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, everyone.
I was thinking of building myself a new PC, it will be mostly for games in 1080p. I don't intend to play in 2k or 4k. My monitor is Asus MG248q 144hz which I run at 120hz (for reasons).

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900x
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX V2
GPU: MSI RTX 4060 Ti 16gb Gaming X
RAM: Kingston Fury Beast Black 2x32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL36
PC Case: Be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX
PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
HDD: Seagate Firecuda 4TB 7200

Here are some questions for the wise Sages of this forum:

-Is this cooler good for this CPU, I'll probably running it in eco mode 105W and I don't want a liquid cooler? So if someone uses this CPU and cooler together it would be great to share the temps he's getting when gaming and idle.

-Is the PSU enough for this build (not gonna overclock anything) or should I look for 1000W one? Also read that a lot of people had fan sounds problems with this particular PSU so is that a thing or...?

-Does the motherboards bios comes with the eco mode 105W option or do I have to update it, and is a good motherboard for this particular build?

-What noise levels should I expect, I hope it won't be like a jet taking off or something?

-Should I expect any compatibility issues with the chosen parts?
64GB RAM will mostly be wasted on a gaming PC. 2x16 is a much better choice for a gaming computer.