Question In need of new liquid cooler good and quiet

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
Hello,
As the title says I am looking for a new Liquid Cooler, that's both good in cooling the CPU and not being noisy. I was looking at Lian Li, Cooler Master and NZXT, since I do have an NZXT Case H710. But I am not sure which cooler is the best in terms of cooling and not being a jet engine at the same time. I usually also game on my Pc, that is fairly important to say I would guess. I doesn't have to be neither of those 3 brands, I just stated what I was looking at.

I have an i9-9900K, Aorus z390 Elite and 3080 Strix.

Thanks in advance!

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
For H710, 360mm rad is tops.

I, personally, do not like AIOs (can explain further why, with my 2nd reply, if you're interested), but to answer your question, here's further reading,
article: https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-aio-coolers

Pick the one you like the most. All of them listed there are great when it comes to AIOs.
E.g Silverstone IceMyst 360 has some unique features, including fill port.
Thank you for the response. If you could let me know why you don't like Aios that would be great!
I currently have an Cooler Master with NZXT swapped fans but they are too loud, I am looking to change it, including the new pump cause this is 4 years old by now.

Thank for the article! Do you know anything about the sound though? I hope none is REALLY loud.

Thanks!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If you could let me know why you don't like Aios that would be great!
As far as AIOs vs air coolers go, you won't gain any cooling performance if you go with AIO over air cooler since both are cooled by ambient air.
For equal cooling performance between AIOs and air coolers, rad needs to be 240mm or 280mm. Smaller rads: 120mm and 140mm are almost always outperformed by mid-sized air coolers. Single slot rads are good in mini-ITX builds where you don't have enough CPU cooler clearance to install mid-sized CPU air cooler.

Here are the positive sides of both (air and AIO) CPU cooling methods;

Pros of air coolers:
less cost
less maintenance
less noise
far longer longevity
no leakage risks
doesn't take up case fan slots
additional cooling for the RAM
CPU cools down faster after heavy heat output

Pros of AIOs:
no RAM clearance issues*
no CPU clearance issues
CPU takes longer time to heat up during heavy heat output (about 30 mins)
* on some cases, top mounted rad can give RAM clearance issues

While how the CPU cooler looks inside the PC depends on a person. Some people prefer to see small AIO pump in the middle of their MoBo with tubing going to the rad while others prefer to see big heatsink with fans in the middle of their MoBo.

Main difference between AIO and air cooler is that with AIO, you'll get more noise at a higher cost while cooling performance remains the same.
Here's also one good article for you to read where former king of air coolers (Noctua NH-D15) was put against 5x high-end AIOs, including former king of AIOs (NZXT x61 Kraken),
link: http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/1

Personally, i'd go with air coolers every day of the week. With same cooling performance, the pros of air coolers outweigh the pros of AIOs considerably. While, for me, the 3 main pros would be:
1. Less noise.
Since i like my PC to be quiet, i can't stand the loud noise AIO makes. Also, when air gets trapped inside the AIO (some AIOs are more prone to this than others), there's additional noise coming from inside the pump.
2. Longevity.
Cheaper AIOs usually last 2-3 years and high-end ones 4-5 years before you need to replace it. While with air coolers, their life expectancy is basically unlimited. Only thing that can go bad on an air cooler is the fan on it. If the fan dies, your CPU still has cooling in form of a big heatsink. Also, new 120mm or 140mm fan doesn't cost much and it's easy to replace one. While with AIOs, the main thing that usually goes bad is the pump itself. And when that happens, your CPU has no cooling whatsoever. Since you can't replace pump on an AIO, you need to buy whole new AIO to replace the old one out.
3. No leakage risks.
Since there's liquid circling inside the AIO, there is always a risk that your AIO can leak. While it's rare, it has happened. It's well known fact that liquids and electronics don't mix.

Do you know anything about the sound though? I hope none is REALLY loud.
In that article and if you click on the name of the AIO, it opens the in-depth review of said AIO.
E.g Silverstone IceMyst 360 review: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cooling/silverstone-icemyst-360-and-240mm-aio-review

And from the review, you can look how loud the AIO is.

Btw, "really loud" is subjective. Some people doesn't stand when fans make as little as 20 dB(A), while others can life fine when fan makes 40 dB(A).
But in the fan world, anything below 20 dB(A) is considered as silent. 20 - 30 dB(A) is audible, 30 - 40 dB(A) is loud and anything over 40 dB(A) is very loud.

Edit:
Regarding air coolers, i'd suggest Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE, since it's the value king,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hY...sassin-120-se-6617-cfm-cpu-cooler-pa120-se-d3

Just look what 120 SE costs and look what any AIO costs.

Review 1 (TH): https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se

Review 2 (GamersNexus):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm4hyIHe1PM

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
Thank you this response. It has helped me by a ton. For most of the years now, past 6-7 I have always gone with AIO since I found it, better looking. But recently, my temps have gone up and I can only assume it's either pump or fans. I replaced the fans, buy they are now too loud.

Sadly there's no Thermalright in my country, but I will see what I can get. What do you think of Lian Li AIOs? Are they good? Are they noisy?
Also I know Noise is subjective. It says my fans go to 35db, but for my prefference, that's is too loud. Especially, since I was never used to a loud Pc.

Anyhow I will look into everything you've said and see what I will get.

Thank you once again!

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
One other con of an air cooler is that it dumps all the heat from the CPU into your case before it is exhausted. That heats up everything else in your case. I personally use an AIO because I can't stand the look of an air cooler. Also had bad experience with having to move a fan to the other side of the cooler due to RAM clearance issues.

I saw your other post about the noisy fans. If you have overall adequate cooling due to case size, design and fan placement, your AIO fans shouldn't ramp up to the point of being "loud". You want to set a fan curve that keeps them spinning all the time and ramp up as higher CPU temps are reached. For example I have mine set to spin at a minimum of 30% all the time. The curve is gradually increased to run the fans at 100% at 80C. In every game I have played with the exception of Horizon Forbidden West my CPU temp has never gone above 71C which keeps my fans pretty quiet. HFW is a pain. It has been ramping my temps up to as high as 85C so I am hearing some fan noise more than I wish to. My AIO fans are top mounted as exhaust by the way. I replaced my AIO fans with Noctua fans.

As stated by others, make sure your AIO pump is running at 100% all the time.

You can also mount the AIO as intake at the front of the case for cooler CPU temps but that will again dump heat into the case. And of course your case has to have the option to mount an AIO as intake.

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
One other con of an air cooler is that it dumps all the heat from the CPU into your case before it is exhausted. That heats up everything else in your case. I personally use an AIO because I can't stand the look of an air cooler. Also had bad experience with having to move a fan to the other side of the cooler due to RAM clearance issues.

I saw your other post about the noisy fans. If you have overall adequate cooling due to case size, design and fan placement, your AIO fans shouldn't ramp up to the point of being "loud". You want to set a fan curve that keeps them spinning all the time and ramp up as higher CPU temps are reached. For example I have mine set to spin at a minimum of 30% all the time. The curve is gradually increased to run the fans at 100% at 80C. In every game I have played with the exception of Horizon Forbidden West my CPU temp has never gone above 71C which keeps my fans pretty quiet. HFW is a pain. It has been ramping my temps up to as high as 85C so I am hearing some fan noise more than I wish to. My AIO fans are top mounted as exhaust by the way. I replaced my AIO fans with Noctua fans.

As stated by others, make sure your AIO pump is running at 100% all the time.

You can also mount the AIO as intake at the front of the case for cooler CPU temps but that will again dump heat into the case. And of course your case has to have the option to mount an AIO as intake.
I guess I would have to tinker away with the fans themselves. I was thinking of getting Noctua fans myself, are they quiet? Also what CPU and AIO do you have?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I guess I would have to tinker away with the fans themselves. I was thinking of getting Noctua fans myself, are they quiet? Also what CPU and AIO do you have?
You really won't need to replace the fans if you get a good quality AIO. I replaced mine because one of them started making a clicking sound. My Noctua fans are pretty quiet even at higher speeds. It is more of a hum created by the 3 fans spinning together. Not like a single fan spinning at max speed. I hate that sound. My fans are also mounted above the radiator right under the mesh top so if they were mounted traditionally under the radiator it would be even quieter. I mounted them this way due to the design of my case.

I have a 5900X and the AIO is a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm. It is from 2019 and I don't think it is available any longer. If I were to replace it I would go with the Lian Li listed as the top pick in the link Aeacus posted.