A few questions about RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBUNx

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Solution
1. DDR3-1600 is the better RAM to use, even though Sandy Bridge processors (which I'm guessing is what you're using) support 1066 or 1333.

2. Lower latency means better performance

3. The RAM in the link below is optimized to work with Sandy Bridge CPU's using Intel XMP profile.
It also matches the board and is low profile to allow clearance for CPU cooler.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366817

Just make sure to follow the directions in the manual (page 20) about how to occupy the slots properly for Dual Channel.
ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3.pdf

**If you plan to run 16GB of RAM at some point, may want to just invest in it now while you know you can get the exact same kit...

for the little faster cas latency that you wont see in games or programs the ram is going to be more costly. with the faster 1600 ram your pc might be a little faster in real life apps. there not much of a speed gap it not like one was 1000 and the other 4000. '
before you buy ram look at the vendor supported list. some mb if you want all 4 slots filled the dimms can only be x in side and by y brands at a set speed.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
1. DDR3-1600 is the better RAM to use, even though Sandy Bridge processors (which I'm guessing is what you're using) support 1066 or 1333.

2. Lower latency means better performance

3. The RAM in the link below is optimized to work with Sandy Bridge CPU's using Intel XMP profile.
It also matches the board and is low profile to allow clearance for CPU cooler.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366817

Just make sure to follow the directions in the manual (page 20) about how to occupy the slots properly for Dual Channel.
ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3.pdf

**If you plan to run 16GB of RAM at some point, may want to just invest in it now while you know you can get the exact same kit. Mixing can cause issues down the line**

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

You do NOT want that RAM with that motherboard. Going over 1.5v RAM will void your CPU warranty and can damage the processor.

D

Deleted member 217926

Either of these are fine. The GSkill will fit under a large air cooler if you are overclocking. The Corsair will have clearance issues. I believe the low profile version of the Corsair has been linked to above. The GSkill is just as good and cheaper though so would be my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.