[SOLVED] A few questions about the Dell Precision T3400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2021
Hello, I have a few questions about the Dell Precision T3400.

About the PC -

• I recently bought a used Dell Precision T3400 for nearly 70$, and spent double for accessories. (total 240$)
  • It was a good deal, activated Windows 7 and MS Office 2007.
  • The PC itself came with a Monitor, and keyboard.
  • I upgraded it to Windows 10 21H1 for free but the thing is the PC itself is 64bit capable but the OS is 32bit.
Specs -
  • Windows 10, 32bit
  • 2GB DDR2 PC-5300 332mhz RAM ( 2 1GB RAM Sticks in slot 1 and 3)
  • Core 2 Duo E8400
  • A 500GB Hard Disk
Questions -
- How do I replace the RAM?*
* Will PC-6400 800mhz RAM Work with a PC-5300 332mhz RAM?**
** If not, should I replace all of them?

- Will the TPM 2.0 Update given by Dell work for this model?

- Does it have an option of Secure Boot? If so where is it? (I didn't find it in the BIOS.)

Basically will I be able to run Windows 11? I don't really care about Microsoft's PC Checker, I just wanna see if there are the features for it.
I also was looking to upgrade the RAM as 32bit and 2GB RAM, not really the best performance.

I'll ask more questions if I find any, in the forum as a reply later I guess.

Solution

About the PC -

• I recently bought a used Dell Precision T3400 for nearly 70$, and spent double for accessories. (total 240$)
  • I upgraded it to Windows 10 21H1 for free but the thing is the PC itself is 64bit capable but the OS is 32bit.
Specs -
  • Windows 10, 32bit
  • Core 2 Duo E8400
  • A 500GB Hard Disk
Questions -

- Will...

About the PC -

Specs -
  • Windows 10, 32bit
  • Core 2 Duo E8400
  • A 500GB Hard Disk
Questions -

- Will the TPM 2.0 Update given by Dell work for this model?

- Does it have an option of Secure Boot? If so where is it? (I didn't find it in the BIOS.)

I'll ask more questions if I find any, in the forum as a reply later I guess.
Unless you want to buy a 64 bit OS there is no sense going above 4GB of ram.
Yes 800mhz will work.
As for w11 reqs let the dust settle things may change.

Solution
Jun 25, 2021
Thanks :) I already have a Windows 10 activated, and they say compatible devices get a free upgrade. So, technically my license is linked to my MS account and also if I want to keep my files and still upgrade to 64bit is it possible???

I mean the license won't be lost right?
So upgrading to 64bit is a better option and LOT OF software is more likely coded in 64bit..

Thanks :) I already have a Windows 10 activated, and they say compatible devices get a free upgrade. So, technically my license is linked to my MS account and also if I want to keep my files and still upgrade to 64bit is it possible???

I mean the license won't be lost right?
So upgrading to 64bit is a better option and LOT OF software is more likely coded in 64bit..
I don't think you can upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit free.
I suspect your license is tied to the 32 bit version.
Wait for others who have played in the windows upgrade stuff.

Your Core II CPU is NOT on the supported CPU list for Windows 11. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Since Windows 11 has not been officially released we won't know for quite a while yet. And, upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit is a full wipe and reinstall.

(What has been released isn't even Beta level code)

Jun 25, 2021
Your Core II CPU is NOT on the supported CPU list for Windows 11. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Since Windows 11 has not been officially released we won't know for quite a while yet.

Well about the compatibility of the CPU, Microsoft doesn't have the Core 2 Duo listed on the 21H1 compatible CPUs, but I have it. Probably Windows 11 will be an even lighter OS on my PC.

Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit is a full wipe and reinstall.

Ouch. Wish I could just upgrade like that. Will I be able to do it in the OS itself without USBs or not?

Jun 25, 2021
Hello everyone, I did my upgrade to a Win10 64-bit by using a bootable USB, thankfully my license was linked to my Microsoft account and it self-activated, lost my data but backed up important things and got it back up and running.

I actually ordered RAM for it, have installed it as per your answers the DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHZ RAM worked, got it for around 8$ which was a good price considering the 667MHZ was around 10$ for a slower speed one.. The performance increase was mindblowing. I could now play Among US and even GTA V with a bit of low graphics (haven't installed it yet though)

I got my other doubt cleared that was the Windows 11 whether it would work or not, that was answered by a video from Linus Tech Tips with the exact same CPU working Windows 11 - Core 2 Duo E8400 - so I am actually surprised this PC from 2008 can rock Windows 11 smoothly - if you have 4GB RAM atleast - and I found in the BIOS that it had TPM 1.2 which is good enough for Windows 11 (I guess) IF I was going to get a legal install (from the update section I mean) else will have to use the same method I did for upgrading the Win10 32-bit to 64-bit using a USB device. Also happy to know Windows 11 is 64-bit only now.

Thanks to all your answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS