A Free-To-Play MMO? Neverwinter Performance, Benchmarked

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]cleeve[/nom]Because CPU frame latency results are so consistently low (well below 15 milliseconds) they're insignificant. The only time I've seen them be an issue is with APUs, and that's covered.[/citation]

Isn't it relevant then to show those consistently low latency numbers to put the FPS results in perspective?

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
[citation][nom]de5_Roy[/nom]i can't believe it...http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 495-4.htmlhttp://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 495-5.html i could believe fx8350 sinking itself to core i3 level performance (it's kinda fx8350's routine) but hd4000 significantly outperforming radeon 7660g in min., avg., and frame time variance? with dual core i5 vs quadcore a10 even...how would an overclocked i5 3550 or 3570k or fx6300 would fare in this game?[/citation]

i5 is quad core too...

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]It's not actually as bottlenecked as the results lead you to believe. The problem is the game has a FPS cap of 60 FPS. [/citation]

You can turn that off in advanced graphics options. We did this for our benchmark tests, and saw the frame rate go above 60 FPS multiple times.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]dscudella[/nom]I don't quite understand the 1920x1080 chart. How does the Radeon 7750 beat out the GTX 650 Ti and even beats the 7790. Shenanigans?[/citation]

Shenanigans? It's clearly CPU bottlenecked, man!

Any differences are so slight they're within the margin of error. There are no significant wins or losses.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]kettu[/nom]Isn't it relevant then to show those consistently low latency numbers to put the FPS results in perspective?[/citation]

The frame time variance *is* shown for graphics cards, where a difference can sometimes be seen. I don't see much point in adding them to CPUs where there's nothing to see, but if more people want to see it I might consider adding it. You're the first person to ask.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
[citation][nom]cleeve[/nom]Shenanigans? It's clearly CPU bottlenecked, man! Any differences are so slight they're within the margin of error. There are no significant wins or losses.[/citation]

Thank you for explaining that. I should have deeper into the whole article instead of just the GPU benchmarks. After looking at the CPU benches your point is made.

bitoolean

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
[citation][nom]rootheday[/nom]well... would you look at that. Intel HD 4000 soundly beats the top AMD mobile APU
[/citation]
[citation][nom]dirtyferret[/nom]here come the AMD fan boys screaming how unfair the CPU review of this benchmark is...[/citation]
Do you people even read the articles before commenting?! This game's performance is CPU-bottlenecked!
Consequently, this is one of those games where our processor benchmarks probably mean more than the graphics card numbers.
I'm not a fan of neither company, never have I been along the years... They've all brought respectable innovations to the table, they don't just stand out and sell the most products for no reason... You're the ones not being fair.

jshat

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Ya'll do know there's an advanced options checkbox that allows you to further refine everything to 300% instead of 100% right?

Also an overclocked 2500k(4.4) with a 460GTX(800/1900) gets better framerates at 300% then you are getting at 100%. Wierd that a small bump can make such a difference.

Edit: 1920x1080

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Just checked out the game last night. Plays quite well on my i5 3570k (stock settings), and 7870 LE (core OC to 1,200MHz). Getting 70+ fps in explorable zones, and 45+ in the city. I dropped the AA down to 8x from 16, didn't notice any improvement in fps. Using default settings which are maxed out and a res of 1920x1080. Decent game but I'll wait until it comes out of Beta to start playing, there's still some things that need addressed like switching toons, you have to log out of the game and log back in to switch toons. Other than that I rather liked the game, hopefully they'll add game pad support, as this game could be a good fit for a controller as well as mouse/keyboard.

Saxie81

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]rootheday[/nom]well... would you look at that. Intel HD 4000 soundly beats the top AMD mobile APU[/citation]

Guess you missed the part where it was CPU dependent...

[citation][nom]Traciatim[/nom]Yet again we see any game that requires a descent amount of CPU power that AMD falls flat on it's face.I sure wish AMD was still in this competition so that we wouldn't have things like Haswell being essentially the same CPU as Ivy Bridge with a few tweaks and a better useless section that gets instantly disabled if you want to actually play games.[/citation]
That is odd since both my FX-8120 and FX-8350 based rigs get consistent 60fps vsync'd at 1080p max settings. The same by the way as my i5 3570K rig. So were did AMD fall flat on it's face? At least with my rigs AMD is right up there with intel just like with any other game I have.

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Sorry but thats stupid.
Dissable Vsync and results will actually be diferend. For example i5 could now have 1000000 and AMD 60fps but your monitor is limited to 60hz so it cant show more.

gondor

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Any chance we could get a review of performance of other F2P online multiplayer games ? My interest is in World of Tanks but it's interesting to read about other games as well :)

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]cleeve[/nom]The frame time variance *is* shown for graphics cards, where a difference can sometimes be seen. I don't see much point in adding them to CPUs where there's nothing to see, but if more people want to see it I might consider adding it. You're the first person to ask.[/citation]

I see. I'm just thinking that if there is nothing to see in the latency chart it paints a contrasting picture against the raw FPS numbers. Like AMD had some latency issues with their graphics cards despite equal framerates against nVidia counterparts before driver updates. So if in this case AMD is behind Intel in FPS but equals them in latency (as you have alluded) I think that is very valuable information.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I hope this doesn't mean a REAL NWN3 is not coming. I have no intention of ever joining a subscription game or giving $1 to them. I want my single player experience period. MMO's can die for all I care. Ultima is doing this also (the new one from Richard Garriot...He's already lost me). It's a pity, just like tv went almost totally reality crap (kardashian crap) we're now going to go through this MMO crap big time on PC's. I guess I'll be praying for total failures so I can get back my Baldurs Gate 3 experience (I'll be pissed if they do the same thing to that one!). One more remake out of the way (BG2 still has to come this year I guess) then on to BG3. MMO's amount to paying $100-180 a year to play your game. I prefer $20-50 ONCE and play when I want without the punk kids, cheaters etc. Back to some gog games I guess...LOL.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Update to my post: I tried it this weekend with the below system and it did fine. I only got to level 7 but I think I will install it on my main system and see how long it will keep me interested. I don't have FPS counts but it palyed smooth enough to not make me stop playing.

system: Windows 7 Ultimate, Pentium G860 3GHz, 4 GB RAM, HD 7770, Solid State Hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.