A home net?

warp4dennis

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2012
I have a PC Desktop that is connected too the Internet using Ethernet. I have installed a PCI card that has two Ethernet ports. There is also another Ethernet connection built in to the Desktop. What I would like to do is use one of these free Ethernet ports to connect a Laptop that I use to the Internet.
What I'm trying to do is keep from laying another Ethernet cable on the floor in my room for me to trip over. Is this possible?

Solution
Try this link:

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-internet-connection-sharing+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#1TC=windows-7

Setup ICS on the desktop. Designate the ethernet connections as required. Connect your laptop to the desktop directly or via a switch to the port designated for ICS.

The desktop will assign IP addresses and DNS (run its own DHCP service and everything). Easy as pie.

warp4dennis

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2012
Hello COLGeek:

The DeskTop, which is directly connected to the Router in my room, has the Windows 7 64bit OS installed on it.

And the ThinkPad T60 laptop has Windows 7 x86 as its OS.

warp4dennis

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try this link:

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-internet-connection-sharing+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#1TC=windows-7

Setup ICS on the desktop. Designate the ethernet connections as required. Connect your laptop to the desktop directly or via a switch to the port designated for ICS.

The desktop will assign IP addresses and DNS (run its own DHCP service and everything). Easy as pie.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Also, your router should have more than one ethernet port. You could connect the laptop directly to it as well.

If you mean your desktop is connected directly to your cable modem. The Win 7 firewall is not the strongest protection means you should be using.

So your laptop is near the desktop yes? You can go the Internet sharing route, which you must configure and keep the desktop on at all time for laptop to function, or.....

Do something even simpler, no configuration needed, laptop doesn't need desktop ON, by: WALL --> One Cable --> 4 PORT ETHERNET SWITCH --> Desktop and Laptop. AND this solution will be... by IT parlance, SCALABLE.