Question PC Death - Mobo or PSU failure?

May 14, 2024
So, about yesterday, I was running Terragen which is a heavily cpu dependant 3D rendering software, was playing around with the render settings and stuff and didn't notice how hot the CPU was getting during all the viewport rendering process.

I don't have particularly good cooling solution for the CPU, since it's just the stock cooler that came with it so when it suddenly "hard stopped" (as in crashed without hesitation with a black screen) I just thought I overheated it a little so I tried turning it on again.

It didn't work, the cpu, the gpu and the psu fan didn't seem to spin to life, although the tiny little LED on the back of the GPU next to the power connector was lit up with white, indicating that it DOES receive power but for some odd reason the system wasn't even booting.

I tried turning the PSU off and then back on and once I did I am pretty sure I heard a weird "zapping" noise when I turned it on.

And from that point, the system never even managed to boot up.

I'm still not sure about the GPU power LED thing, if the PSU is dead then how the hell is it receiving power?

I tried to test out if it'll light up the red LED (which probably indicates the power connector isn't plugged in or something?) if i unplug the 6 pin and it DID light up so that means there is something STILL alive in this system (i assume the motherboard but then again how the hell is it receiving power?!)

I'm new here so please excuse me for not providing enough detail and etc.

Here are the system specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz
GPU: ROG STRIX OC RX 570 8 GB

MOBO: MSI A320M-A PRO M2
SSD: Hikvision 480 GB SATA III

PSU: iBOX Cube II Max 600W ATX
RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Reactions: hyperix
May 14, 2024
This PSU?
https://www.ibox.pl/en/component/content/article/cube-2-600.html?catid=160&Itemid=750

How old is the PSU?

If it's older than 5 years and out of warranty, you will most likely need a new one. Before buying, borrow a PSU if you can and see if your computer starts normally.
PSUs degrade over time. It's possible your PSU was struggling to supply power for some time and it finally couldn't go on anymore.
Yes that PSU. The seller that sold me this pc used didn't specify for how long the PC was used. I assume it failed because the PSU is extremely poor quality (not even a single 80+ rating i assume it can't even handle 600w worth of power)

I also can't really borrow a PSU from somebody since I hardly know anyone here( I moved to the country like 2 years ago), I could ask my tech school to help me test individual components maybe they'll be kind to allow so

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Yes that PSU. The seller that sold me this pc used didn't specify for how long the PC was used. I assume it failed because the PSU is extremely poor quality (not even a single 80+ rating i assume it can't even handle 600w worth of power)

I also can't really borrow a PSU from somebody since I hardly know anyone here( I moved to the country like 2 years ago), I could ask my tech school to help me test individual components maybe they'll be kind to allow so
Odd PSU. Lower end but not so cheap to be obviously bad.

Judging by the rest of the components, it's fairly old.
You should buy a new PSU and cross your fingers and hope the old one didn't damage anything in the computer.

May 14, 2024
Odd PSU. Lower end but not so cheap to be obviously bad.

Judging by the rest of the components, it's fairly old.
You should buy a new PSU and cross your fingers and hope the old one didn't damage anything in the computer.
I'll make sure to update you on that if everything goes well. Thanks for advice.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Here are some PSUs to consider

https://pangoly.com/en/product/be-quiet-system-power-10-450w
https://pangoly.com/en/product/seasonic-g12-gm-550w
https://pangoly.com/en/product/thermaltake-toughpower-gf-a3-atx-3-0-750w

Reactions: hyperix