A.I. Cluster Desk

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
he said he was gona expand to PH II with more nodes, so I assumed that unless he wants to plug and unplug he is gona need a KVM or 6 screen mouse and kb lol

may as well buy now and thus can use the 2 screen he has left to form one big screen and KVM it (if that is possible, most KVM only supports one screen so) or use one for main and 1 for KVM if a dual monitor KVM is out of the line, or toggles between dual monitor and one KVM if he has a monitor with both DVI and VGA connectors.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
lol well, most people don't deal with KVM switches because they are expensive and unless you got a few boxes, they are useless to you. I know a story or two about drunks with KVM where they thought their computer was nuked when their KVM is set to another off computer :pt1cable:

also, I hate the new ranking even more looking at you rank now rofl

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
OK guys here is what I use for video switches All three boards are routed to a 3 port HDMI switch w/ remote. I use DVI to HDMI cables to get to the switch and HDMI cable from switch to 23" 1080p monitor. Secondly on the HD 4870x2 I have a DVI to VGA splitter on the secondary port, one going to a 1680x1050 manual 6 port shared usb KVM for the SCREENS under the glass. The other is routed to the other side where the identical setup is used. The every compute node is routed to the KVM on the same desk. At any point in time I can monitor any process on any machine from any monitor on the desk.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

I had three but the previous power spike kinda fried one. The grey rectangle thing in the corner under the desk is this 3rd lcd. Alas, the control board is fried........ :(

This is something that is made only by a mad scientist, a true work of art , I would pay to see this piece of hardware working in real-time.... [:lectrocrew:5]

Btw : have you noticed anything different on your electric bill? lol ....

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

^ 6 screens is not out of the question as of yet. I have a 37" 1080p TV that lays around doing nothing so I have devised a way to make it a flip up desktop litterally. To do this I am ordering replacement corner piece and left hand desk to put where my right hand desk is now. This will give me another shelf to add more optical drives and display more processors. then I can add the new corner peice and the flat righthand desk to make a horse shoe shape. Then Ill have to take out the 37" LCD from its case, get some piano hinges and some lifter shocks from an autoparts store. MAke the 37" flip up forward w/ the glass on top. Then I have enough room for a 19" Widescreen beside each 22" 1050 monitor under the glass. I believe thats 6 right. :pt1cable:

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
o_O i guess you are not a minimalist lol

i would go with a nice 1920*1200 main screen, with another screen (same size or smaller) with DVI + VGA inputs.

hock up main screen and secondary via DVI to main screen, get cheap and old VGA and PS/2 or VGA and usb KVM and use that to connect the secondary to the other machines.

this way, all you need to monitor all the boxes is to simply toggle the input on your secondary (move all work to your primary screen, or disable the secondary on your primary rig) and then toggle the KVM (best to get one that responds to a special key combo in case if you can't physically reach it rofl).

that would mean only 2 screens controlling lots of computers and less get up and walk time and clutter.

just me tho.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[:lectrocrew:9]

YES! This thing uses about $80 a month alone if on all the time. normalyy I run about 7-12 machines around the clock. MY bill is way high my friend. You dont wanna know!

Anyway thats why Im going DC/DC PSU's powered by deep cell batteries recharged by the sun. DID someone MAD SCIENTIST!

WHAHAHAHAHAHAH! WHHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAA :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

Yeah I forgot mention that the KVMs use key combos. I like this combination because it allows for extended desktops to any screen. And everything is within arms reach at the push of a botton. Or click on a remote. What I mentioned in an earlier post is that my desk can control every screen in my house. This is nice to be able to do this in a single location for my daughter and myself.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
xtc, that is one expensive work of art...I gotta applaud to you on this...

Now I'm jealous and I want one of those...lol...not really, but it would be cool to have one of those...

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
damn the future house that I always wanted

imagine if you can hook up everything to an event scheduler / motion sensor, how cool that can be?

be like a servant without the backstabbing!

I got 3.954Ghz last night and right when I was taking a screenie it BSOD on me... I was like ok... once i get home I will up the volts and see what happens....

It runs stable @ 3.812Ghz for now.... needs some tweaking and I will hit 4GHZ today no matter what.....

Funny thing is, my board is not the best overclocking board out (nvidia 780 chipset) ....so in all IDK if I got lucky this time or what... NB stays nice n cool (59c)...and my CPU temps NEVER reached 55c (27c ambient), but.. once room temp reaches 83F or higher thats another story....

@ those clocks my PC is like a freaking heater... cant wait till winter !! [:lectrocrew:6]

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
:ouch: well you and almost everyone else with those are stoping my 940 and some are stomping my 955. I cant help but to give AMD a round of appluase.