Question A laptop to output 4k at 120Hz with external monitor?

Sep 29, 2024
Hello,

I read that even if you have a laptop that runs at the resolution of 3.200 x 2.000 max, connecting it to a 4k 120Hz monitor, you can output that resolution and Herz, provided you have the right port, cable and laptop performance.

Is that correct? I am looking at an ASUS Vivobook S 16 OLED ( Core Ultra 7 155H, Arc, Thunderbolt 4, 16GB), but I doubt it can do the thing. What is there to know? What laptop could handle the task?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 29, 2024
Can't you use the Thunderbolt 4 port?

I already use a USB-C to HDMI adapter on my desktop for 4k 120Hz, because my RTX 2080 doesn't have HDMI and my LG C1 lacks a Displayport.

Can't you use the Thunderbolt 4 port?

I already use a USB-C to HDMI adapter on my desktop for 4k 120Hz, because my RTX 2080 doesn't have HDMI and my LG C1 lacks a Displayport.
The manual does indicate that you can use the Thunderbolt port but does not say anything about what resolution and refresh rate you would get from that port. You'll have to find someone who has already tried it.

Sep 29, 2024
You'll have to find someone who has already tried it.
I hoped to find someone like this here. Asus wont answer my inquiry. Only option left is to purchase a unit and test for myself, but then if it fails the test I will wonder whether it is the device, or the cables I used. So a definitive answer to the question would still be desirable.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I hoped to find someone like this here. Asus wont answer my inquiry. Only option left is to purchase a unit and test for myself, but then if it fails the test I will wonder whether it is the device, or the cables I used. So a definitive answer to the question would still be desirable.
A question for your question.
What would you even need 120 for ?

You could try posting a new message with a title like: "Connecting an ASUS Vivobook S 16 OLED to an external monitor". You could also try Reddit.