A list of recommended PSUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sorry jtt not ignoring you :) You can always list em out in the basic format and I'll paste em right in.

560W and 750W for sure. Have you seen the promo code for the X750?

Have you ever recommended the X850? I've never seen a time when it wasn't too expensive compared to other PSUs.

Likewise on the Platinum PSUs... Not sure I would be willing to spend the extra.

I'm not sure I have recommended anything bigger than a 750W; I normally lurk at the budget end of the spectrum, or just try to save people from all the chokemax and cm junk that's still out there.

Edit: Yeah, I saw that. If I needed a bigger PSU, I'd be all over it. I have one GTX560Ti though, so I'm using a X560 right now.

Damn, i hadn't noticed that promo code, im going to be upgrading soon anyway so i think ill grab one of those, should be a nice step up from my EA500.

I find that seasonic units are often priced slightly more than the units they OEM for, i read somewhere that they do this so they don't sell their own version a lot more than everyone else who is building with them, like the XFX/Seasonic X-1000 with the XFX being a bit less so the Seasonic units don't tend to make my list, they usually get beaten out by other units based on the same platform that are priced a bit less.

Kieran28

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Great topic/thread. Are you going to put links to this in your other PSU thread? (and vice-versa?) Maybe you did, but if so I couldn't find any. Seems like these two topics should be both linked to each other.

It's the last link in the first post, but maybe it could be a bit more obvious.

i am using coolermaster silent pro gold 1000w psu.i am not expert so plz don't ask questions :( but i recommend it.i know coolermaster psu's are not good and i am not at all a fan of CM.but still that psu is working very well for me.

The 650W CM GX was described by HardOCP as a "polished turd in a box."
All issues of quality aside, other HardwareSecrets reviews of CM PSUs have found that some have liar labels, or claim to have protection circuits that are missing. That's dishonest, and a dishonest company does not deserve anyone's business, for any of their products, no matter how good. Fortunately, in every market where they can be found (e.g. PSUs, cases, fans, etc) there are also competitors who offer similar or better products for the same price, so you need not take a hit in the wallet for refusing to support a dishonest business.
Sorry to appear to stray from topic, but this is why I would like to NOT see any CM PSU on any recommended list, no matter how good it is.

I do have a hard time recommending any CM or Tt PSUs. They both sell some good models, but those are always overpriced compared to other brands. Tt uses, in my opinion, confusing model names and numbers, deliberately. I don't trust either company to sell a PSU exactly as it was reviewed without changing the internals.
Both companies make great cases, but they need serious overhauls in their PSU divisions.

Having said all that, I sometimes run into someone in a country that has very few choices for PSUs. Very often Cooler Master is their best possible choice.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
May I ask why rosewill is suggested instead of corsair for the 430watt?
Just curious, I have the CX430. I've heard from multiple people that rosewill isn't as good of quality PSU wise.

They are both right there. They both have strong points and weak points. The Rosewill has more 12V power, and the Corsair has a better warranty. Both are good. Those same people that tell you Rosewill is not as good probably think both companies make their own PSUs.

have you thought about an Antec Earthwatts?
great PSUs (not just because I own one LOL)
great reviews
my EA-380 380w Antec EW is very quiet (80mm fan)
super efficient
and runs very cool from my experience and reviews
there are heavier wattage versions also
Delta makes them from what I understand for Antec

e56imfg

Distinguished
So this list... Can I trust it?

A few people on the forums said that this list was a joke. This has gotten me thinking. I was considering the Rosewill 430w you listed but a few people said that Rosewill was no good.

How do you know if these are good PSUs? Do you test them yourself, look up reviews online, or just simply paste it on there, believing what's on the rated power they give on the PSU itself?

I don't mind if you base PSUs on reviews but are you getting them from professional reviewers? I just read a article on Hardware Secrets stating that most of the reviews are wrong except for THESE
Article stating that 99% of PSU reviewers are just amateurs, trying to get free things

EDIT: Can't find any reviews of the Rosewill 430w. Am I skipping something? If you can find a review of that PSU, that would be great.

TRENDING THREADS