[SOLVED] "A media driver your computer needs is missing" when trying to install Windows 10 or 11 ?

Jul 9, 2022
Hi,

I have a new computer with:
Motherboard: ASUS TUF B360M-E GAMING
Storage: Intel M2
Storage: Seagate 2TB SATA
Memory: 16GB
GFX: Gigabyte, some old nVidia

I've tried to install both Windows 10 and Windows 11. I can boot both using a USB-key, but after choosing language and install it stops with this message:
"A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver" (then something about if I have the driver etc.)
There are two buttons, "Browse" or "Rescan".

I've tried the chipset and storage driver from ASUS' website, but nothing works. It shows the drivers, and seems to scan, but return with the same error/message.
I've tried the same with the nvme driver and chipset driver from Intel - same result

I don't have any clue on what to look for, my guess would be the storage devices, but none seems to be found.

I've tried different BIOS/UEFI setups; both with and without CSM and secure boot = off.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Regards
Ronni

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Where did you source the installer for your OS? If you're able to get into BIOS, can you check and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing? Check to see if your storage controller is set to anything outside of AHCI. If so, revert it to AHCI. Also, your specs are incomplete, please parse them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Jul 9, 2022
Where did you source the installer for your OS? If you're able to get into BIOS, can you check and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing? Check to see if your storage controller is set to anything outside of AHCI. If so, revert it to AHCI. Also, your specs are incomplete, please parse them like so:
CPU: Intel Core i5 9400
Motherboard: Asus UF B360M-E GAMING
Ram: 16Gb G-Skill 8192mb 2666Mhz (x2)
SSD: Intel SSD 665P (M.2)
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM006 2TB
GPU: Onboard (removed external gfx)
PSU: -
Chassis: -
Monitor: Lenovo

I can access BIOS/UEFI and see everything, and also boot with no problems.
BIOS version: 2416 x64
Everything is set to AHCI.
Secure Boot: Other OS
CSM: Enabled

Hi,

I have a new computer with:
Motherboard: ASUS TUF B360M-E GAMING
Storage: Intel M2
Storage: Seagate 2TB SATA
Memory: 16GB
GFX: Gigabyte, some old nVidia

I've tried to install both Windows 10 and Windows 11. I can boot both using a USB-key, but after choosing language and install it stops with this message:
A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. (then something about if I have the driver etc.)
I can then Browse or Rescan.

I've tried the chipset and storage driver from ASUS' website, but nothing works. It shows the drivers, and seems to scan, but return with the same error/message.
I've tried the same with the nvme driver and chipset driver from Intel - same result

I don't have any clue on what to look for, my guess would be the storage devices, but none seems to be found.

I've tried different BIOS/UEFI setups; both with and without CSM and secure boot = off.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Regards
Ronni
Do you have only 1 drive connected when you start the installer; its kind of quirky about that. If you have 1 m.2 drive and 1 hdd drive the installer might be looking for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. So its best if you just go with the m.2 and connect the hdd after installation is complete. Also, given the age of your components, I wouldn't even try Windows 11 since it has nothing to offer you.

Jul 9, 2022
Do you have only 1 drive connected when you start the installer; its kind of quirky about that. If you have 1 m.2 drive and 1 hdd drive the installer might be looking for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. So its best if you just go with the m.2 and connect the hdd after installation is complete. Also, given the age of your components, I wouldn't even try Windows 11 since it has nothing to offer you.

I have tried with both drives and only the M.2 - no difference.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022
It could be the ISO is corrupted, have you tried making another one?

are you using media creation tool or downloading ISO?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-ad4bec88-167e-eeeb-15ab-ccd6982bd859

used a different USB slot?
tested installer works on another PC?

could install ubuntu, just to see if it actually installs. Tell us if perhaps problem isn't windows. Just a test.
https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

I've made it several times with both Win10 and Win11 on different USB-sticks.
I only have Linux and download the ISO, making the bootable using a tool called dd

I've tried different USB slots on the computer.
Not tested on another PC - dont have one other than the one I use here.

So to sum up:
Tried both Win10 and Win11 using different USB-sticks. All made the same way with dd on Linux.
Removed all hardware thats not necessary e.g. gfx and secondary SATA disk.
All boot without problems, but stops the same place when collecting information about the computer, with the same message/error.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:
Solution
Jul 9, 2022
Success! :D

Made a new one with WoeUSB command line tool on Linux, same USB-stick, same ISOs.

The computer didn't meet the requirements for Win11, but Win10 installed without problems.

Thank you for all your help - it's really appriciated!

Reactions: Colif

TRENDING THREADS