G

Anyone ever deal with either A N H Micro or VikingComputers.net (same company)? If so, what's your experience?

I purchased a mobo/cpu combo last week with UPS Second Day Air. The phone clerk said she couldn't enter my order directly because of a computer problem (bad hint #1), but that if I go to the web site (vikingcomputers.net) I could place my order and get it shipped either that day or the next, and have it either two or three days later with Second Day Air service.

I made the order Thursday, Oct 18, and received a confirmation email from Viking Computers saying the order was shipped UPS Second Day Air, just like I paid for.

On Sunday I received email from UPS saying the order was shipped Ground (bad hint #2) and the package would be delivered Oct 25.

It's Oct 26, so I called UPS, and the clerk said UPS has not even received the package from A N H Micro yet (3 strikes and I'm out!?!).

I have tried several times to call A N H Micro to ask why the package was shipped Ground instead of Second Day Air, and now their answering system says all voice mailboxes are full and terminates the call (sounds like I'm out of luck).

Is this company legit, or did I just pay money to an online scam artist?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here are some comments from previous customers at Reseller Ratings.com about Viking:

<A HREF="http://www.resellerratings.com/cgi-bin/reseller/comview.cgi?VikingComputers" target="_new">http://www.resellerratings.com/cgi-bin/reseller/comview.cgi?VikingComputers</A>

If you continue to find it impossible to contact the company next week, and the computer never arrives, I'd consider contacting the Better Business Bureau, just in case the company has filed a Chapter 11, or something like that. If UPS continues to show no receipt of the system, I'd also call up your credit card company, and if the card has already been charged for the system, put a stop on the payment until the system arrives.

While the website still appears to be operational, it doesn't look good that it doesn't seem to be altogether that secure for online transactions. I recommend that you don't order from a site in the future unless it has 128-bit Secure Socket Layer encryption. I've got their supposedly secure ordering page open in a separate window, and there is no security of any kind! And it's also a good idea to check out an online Vendor's reputation before placing an order. This outfit seems to be developing an increasingly bad reputation for "losing" a computer, and blaming the loss on Fed Ex ... and in one case, a user didn't even receive a refund. (He should have gotten a lawyer.) It's apparently gotten worse over the past year.

I hope you didn't get ripped off.

Good luck!

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=blue>"Does history record any case in which the majority was right?" ... Robert A. Heinlein</font color=blue>

G

Thanks to ToeJam31 for his reply. I wasn't aware of the resellerratings website. My pain of a few hundred bucks is miniscule to the thousands of dollars wasted by people all over this country at that store...

Dream, Believe, Create, Experience
Programmers make it happen!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Reseller Ratings is actually a very useful site for many Internet customers. Sure, you may find a great price on Pricewatch, but before you order from an unfamiliar company, be sure to check resellerratings.com for their listing and check out what others have to say before you buy.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Got my package in the mail last night from UPS. Well, it turns out that A N H Micro decided to send me three hard drive coolers. This looks nothing like what I ordered. Here's the confirmation email they sent me:

So you know I'm not crazy. Two possibilities: 1) This company is as crooked as they come, or 2) they shipped someone else my order and vice-versa. In this case, someone got my motherboard and CPU for about $25!!!

Any comments/suggestions?

Item: ECS K7S5A + AMD XP 1600 + CPU Cooler
Item price: $185.95
Item quantity: 1
|:
Shipping: UPS Second Day Air, $13.95 per item, $13.95 total
Total this item: $199.90

Order subtotal: $185.95
Sales tax: $0
Total shipping this order: $13.95
Order grand total: $199.90

G

hi

i've also purchased from them the same packages except with a 1500+. i got one of the pieces which was the heat sink fans system. that was it. i tried to contact the company but no answer, called the phone number no answer email no response. i'm disputing this, i emailed my cc company and gonna see what they will do for me. not sure of anything yet. but i'm sick of online ordering at this moment.

andrew

G

I placed almost exactly same order (1.5 processor) , but directly to the VikingComputers.net website. Got an autoresponse. Got a ship notice.
Package arrived, but with an Epox MB, a fan, and no CPU.
Phones at Viking either don't answer, are eternally busy, or are reported disconnected.
Emails ("we'll answer within 24 hours") go unanswered.

G

When I placed the order I used a VISA card that was attached directly to my credit union checking account. I called my credit union, and told them what VikingComputers did to me, and they cancelled the VISA card (so Viking cannot make additional charges to the account), and put the money back in my account. They will send me some official documents to sign so they can get their money back from Viking, but at least I got my money back.

I still cannot get through to Viking, and since they rip off so many people, I have no guilty conscience for reporting them. I'm glad my credit union backed me up on this.

So although I lost out on having a computer so soon, and although the more reputable companies charge a bit more for their components, I believe it's worth it for the piece of mind I will get when I order from them in the future.

How can a company like VikingComputers stay in business? Easy: there are plenty of people out there looking for a good deal. They only need to rip off each person once and they still have your money. Then they move on to the next victim. They have the fancy web page, and their web site boasts of great customer support, but you can never get through on a phone line. Eventually the company will fold, and they'll walk away and start a new company, and rip off other people.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
pc, an excellent place to go online to buy is newegg.com. they usually have some of the lowest prices for just about everything, service/support is great and they standard shipping (fedex saver, gets to me in 3 days from cali to mich) is as cheap as most other places ups ground. i buy almost all my stuff from either them or compuplus, neutron USA. i do go other places but i check em out, but whenever i need something, i'll check those 3 places first and see what they have going. i like compuplus cause they run specials on some items and you can get overnite for free.

icyura10

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
Used whois on the two domain names <font color=red>vikingcomputers.net</font color=red> and <font color=red>anhmicro.com</font color=red> just a couple of minutes ago......

Seems like these guys are indeed the same company.. and some different ph #'s too... notice the different <b><font color=red>addresses </font color=red></b>, but the <b><font color=blue>email addresses</font color=blue></b> seem to be the same..

hope this helps you guys!

<font color=red>
--- VikingComputers.Net -------------------------------------------------------

Registrant:
Viking Computers (VIKINGCOMPUTERS2-DOM)
1015 N. IH35E Suite 316
Carrollton, TX 75067
US

Domain Name: VIKINGCOMPUTERS.NET </font color=red>

Administrative Contact, Billing Contact:
<font color=red><b> Luu, Alex (AL6870) <font color=blue> aluu@VIKINGCOMPUTERS.NET </font color=blue>
Viking Computers
1235 S. Josey Ln.
Carrollton , TX 75067
972-417-9090 </b> </font color=red>
Technical Contact:
Hostmaster, Web2010 (JS1795) HOSTMASTER@WEB2010.COM
WEB2010 Inc
6757 Edgewater Commerce Parkway
Orlando, FL 32810-4211
US
407-445-3033 407-445-2427

Record last updated on 15-Mar-2001.
Record expires on 11-Feb-2003.
Record created on 11-Feb-1999.
Database last updated on 3-Nov-2001 12:29:00 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS.WEB2010.COM 209.235.31.149
NS2.WEB2010.COM 216.157.79.246

<font color=red>
----ANHMICRO.COM -----------------------------------------------------------

Registrant:
A.N.H. Electronics, Inc. (ANHMICRO-DOM)
2300 Valley View Suite 100
Farmers Branch, TX 75234
US

Domain Name: ANHMICRO.COM </font color=red>

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact:
<b><font color=red> A.N.H. Electronics, Inc. (T16495-OR) <font color=blue>aluu@vikingcomputers.net </font color=blue>
A.N.H. Electronics, Inc.
2300 Valley View Suite 100
Farmers Branch, TX 75234
US
972-245-8148 fax: 972-245-9118 </b></font color=red>

Record last updated on 14-Jun-2001.
Record expires on 20-Mar-2011.
Record created on 20-Mar-2001.
Database last updated on 3-Nov-2001 12:29:00 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

FAITH.LOGIXCOM.NET 209.49.5.10
MEREDITH.LOGIXCOM.NET 216.0.152.10

----------------------------------------------------------

<font color=red>When you smoke your CPU, what kind of papers do you use? :eek: