A New Study Suggests Internet Explorer is for Dummies

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Another conclusion : IE is more user friendly, we can say it is the most user friendly since its user has a lower IQ score than other ones. If dumb people can use it, then IE will be the most user friendly browser

http://kevin-yonathan.blogspot.com

Yeah...IQ tests aren't very useful. Don't think I'm disgruntled at them due to poor personal performance, but I don't think they test a whole bunch of types of intelligence. There really should be a lot more variation in tests on IQ tests.

One of the biggest challenges with IQ tests is they don't measure an individual's creativity--which is largely one's ability to form original detailed concepts in one's head. How do you measure whether Beethoven or Ben Stein is more intelligent? That's why an IQ test is stupid.

Like the guy in "The Prentender" was supposed to be almost supernaturally intelligent. If that's the case, why was he always copying stuff? Duplication isn't the greatest sign of intelligence.

greenspoon

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]Yeah...IQ tests aren't very useful. Don't think I'm disgruntled at them due to poor personal performance, but I don't think they test a whole bunch of types of intelligence. There really should be a lot more variation in tests on IQ tests.One of the biggest challenges with IQ tests is they don't measure an individual's creativity--which is largely one's ability to form original detailed concepts in one's head. How do you measure whether Beethoven or Ben Stein is more intelligent? That's why an IQ test is stupid.Like the guy in "The Prentender" was supposed to be almost supernaturally intelligent. If that's the case, why was he always copying stuff? Duplication isn't the greatest sign of intelligence.[/citation]

IQ tests are very useful. For a psychologist, if someone has an IQ of 60 they have a general idea of what they are going to be like. This is only one point of data and any decent psychologist would not make any conclusions with just one point of data, but it gives them something to start with.

The issue with measuring something like IQ is that it is a psychological construct and as such is very abstract and hard to measure. Your beef with the test is funny because you feel they are useless because they do not measure creativity, which is a completely different construct. An IQ test should not measure creativity. That is not what it is meant for.

You can draw a correlation though, and that is that people with higher IQ's are generally more creative. It is a sign of intelligence, but a completely different thing from intelligence.

cuba_pete

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]GreenSpoon[/nom]IQ tests are very useful. For a psychologist, if someone has an IQ of 60 they have a general idea of what they are going to be like. This is only one point of data and any decent psychologist would not make any conclusions with just one point of data, but it gives them something to start with.The issue with measuring something like IQ is that it is a psychological construct and as such is very abstract and hard to measure. Your beef with the test is funny because you feel they are useless because they do not measure creativity, which is a completely different construct. An IQ test should not measure creativity. That is not what it is meant for. You can draw a correlation though, and that is that people with higher IQ's are generally more creative. It is a sign of intelligence, but a completely different thing from intelligence.[/citation]
Except for the autistic "geniuses" who can't manage anything except using a toilet (usually) who test as "geniuses". I believe they are known as Idiot Savants. Maybe IE users are Idiot Savants...?

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
ATTENTION TOM'S HARDWARE EDITORS: If you read the comments you'll find multiple sources confirming this story as a HOAX...I think it's time the story was updated.

greenspoon

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
[citation][nom]cuba_pete[/nom]Except for the autistic "geniuses" who can't manage anything except using a toilet (usually) who test as "geniuses". I believe they are known as Idiot Savants. Maybe IE users are Idiot Savants...?[/citation]

Intelligence in no way means you can be an active member of society. People that test really high on the IQ scale are usually socially withdrawn and those that score low are very friendly and more outgoing socially. It is a correlation. Also, intelligence does not mean you are smart (idiot implies not smart) You could never go to a single day of school and live in a box your whole life and have an IQ over 145 (bottom end of genius) but you would be dumb as a box of rocks.

[citation][nom]beameup[/nom]Turns out this story was faked. But I would call folks who stick with IE one of three things:1Lazy2Technically challenged3Don't care[/citation]
I'm lazy. That may explain why I'm using IE although my IQ runs about 170.

Status
Not open for further replies.