Question A problem with the speakers after reinstalling windows 10

AlaaLU

Reputable
Mar 22, 2021
I took my PC to someone to reinstall the windows, everything was fine when it came back but my speakers didn't work
it shows that it's connected and my headphones work fine, but no sound when I switch from headphones to speakers.
I thought the speakers were faulty and bought a new one but the same problem still happened.

I looked up some solutions but it didn't work still.
Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There's a VERY common cause of this problem IF you have a video card installed in a PCIe slot. If you have one of those AND your Speakers are plugged into the green 3.5 mm socket on the back plate of your MOBO, here's the explanation and fix.

Almost all video cards that you can add in a PCIe slot these days have (among others) an HDMI output port. Unlike earlier video systems, HDMI also has sound signals on some of its wires to feed directly to a monitor if it has speakers to use. Now, there has never been a way for the sound generated by a mobo audio chip to be forwarded to a video card like that so it can be sent out on the HDMI port. To solve that, virtually all such cards have their own sound chip to feed that signal out, and the device driver software the for that video card actually is TWO drivers - one for video, and another for audio. This means your computer actually has two different audio output systems available.

No matter how many such audio systems you have, Windows can use only one of them at a time, and YOU get to tell Windows which one you want used. The trick here is that, when Windows was re-installed, the techs also would have installed the drivers for the video card, of course. The install tool almost always then changes Windows to use that audio output system in the video card (via the HDMI cable), and NOT use the sound chip on your mobo that feeds its output to the rear panel 3.5 mm sockets. So all sounds made by Windows are NOT going out to your rear sockets, and any Speaker plugged in there gets nothing.

YOU can fix this easily. In the search window at bottom left type in Sound Settings to open up that window. Its first item is the Default Sound Output Device, and there's a drop-down window to choose from. Click on that and I bet it shows you the Realtek system on your mobo PLUS another system with a name like your video card. Choose the Realtek mobo system. You may also have to tell it that it is feeding speakers. Back out to the main screen and try your system for sound on the speakers plugged into those back sockets.

If you still get nothing there is one more obscure thing to try, so post back here.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike